Diamond DA42 Twinstar

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I just topped 25 hours in my Twinstar, and it is a SUPER aircraft. I am averaging about 5.5 gph/side at 80% with a 155 TAS. No problems whatsoever. Was out practicing stalls, slow flight, etc today. The plane has very gentle characteristics even when at the stall point.

I am 6’2" with long legs. Even with the fixed seats I am more comfortable than in most other planes. I really like the recline position and the center stick.

Will keep you all updated, but at this point I couldn’t be happier!!!

John

Including its hot perfomance, it wins 5 stars for looks.

That’s a good economy, but Diamond promised much better performance. Whats the top speed and flow look like?

I love the Diamonds, and can’t believe they don’t sell more Stars than they do. You should try an Ovation with your body size. Getting in is a chore, but once there, you can stay all day in those seats. In fact, with a copilot, you can recline and nap. I am nearly 6’3" with long legs and find the Seneca’s just barely comfortable in the leg department, but best elbow room by far. The Cirrus similarly jams my legs up, but a bit worse.

The view out the Baron is nice, but its too skinny for my shoulders and elbows.

Unfortunately, I can’t stay comfortable in a Diamond for long cross countries. My favorite planes for pleasure flying, but not for long distance travel.

The performance numbers I stated were at 3,500 feet. I have been flying mainly VFR or low level IFR to avoid some of the crappy weather we have been having. Once I get a few trips up around 9,000 I expect the speed performance numbers to look a little better.

As far as trying some other aircraft, I think after spending near $600k my marriage wouldn’t survive me wanting anything different. :slight_smile:

I have been on 6 cross country legs, all of around 2.5 hours. I think the comfort level is superb. The dashboard is forward a ways, the rudder pedals go back pretty far, and without the conventional yoke, I can reposition me legs “knee high” or “straight out” to get them comfortable. I think if you had a little width to your body, it might be a bit tight, but height is no problem. I find it to be one of the most comfortable “small” aircraft I have flown.

me too, the DA-40 Diamond Star is one of my favorite aircraft. I can’t believe I dont see more of them. The backseats are roomy in every direction and the cockpit is to die for

Duh! Those dang things are almost a half a million bucks! Do you got that kinda money in your back pocket??? I’d rather spend (more accurately, “Give my FBO a sweet life.”) it on AvGas and get some hours in.

You can get a used Star for less than you can a similar year and equipped 182.

A Twinstar is half a million, but Stars are closer to a quarter (I dunno what they are thinking about the XL variant, seems steep to me).

Even if you think buying new is stupid, you had best keep that to yourself. If you convince everyone, eventually there will be none to rent either.

Think about it.

The Diamond Star is an awesome single engine instrument trainer. I, like about 80% of other pilots, received my training in a Cessna. However, I wish I had the opportunity to learn in a Diamond Star.

As for buying new, I didn’t have much of a choice when it came to the Twinstar. And just for the record…mine won’t be on the used market for a long time. :slight_smile:

The other reason I like new is the stability of cost. I fly for business purposes instead of recreation, and I need to have reliability of “in-service” and I needed to be able to smooth out the cash flows. Both are a little easier in a new plane. I am sure others will have an opinion…but that is my .02 cents.

Have a great one!!!

SirJohn,

You named a couple excellent reasons to buy new. Another would be that the model you want isn’t available on the used market for enough discount to justify the risk of going used.

Warranties on planes are very valuable, and the power by the hour on your engines is a real benefit.

Yes, it’s a half million dollars, but I’m not aware of any new twin on the market that offers the low fuel consumption, load capacity and range, and airspeed along with KNOWN ICING certification.

The Twin Star is $360K new without the leather, known icing package, etc. Half million is the price with the package.

If I had it, or I had three friends who could share it with me, I’d be in one right now. By far the easiest GA twin I’ve ever flown.

Is a couple hundred thousand bucks worth the extra prop? CFI, you know the correct answer.

I’m not completely against multi-engine airplanes! I have about 150 hours of multi and I really need more.

Don’t compare Apples to Oranges. A single prop PC-12 and a single prop Cirrus is two totally different scenarios. I just returned from 30 hours of flight in the DA-42 through the Rockies into icing…I would have had a heart attack in a single engine piston.

If your goal is to increase your total ME time, there is nothing I would consider cheaper or safer.

It might seem like a lot of money, but it is well worth it. :slight_smile:

Our twinstar should arrive in a month or two. We’re an authorized dealer and service center for the Thielert engines in New Smyrna Beach, FL. We anxiously awaiting it, looks like a gorgeous plane. And I love what those Thielerts do for fuel consumption. Pull a single engine back to 60% power and you could stay airborne for almost 8 or 9 hours. I hope we get 3 or 4 of them :slight_smile:

I have 20 hours of multi time.

17 in a 2004 piper seminole and 3 in an 2001 seneca IV.

I am a cfi in a Cirrus SR20 with the Avidyne system (about 100 hours)

Would anybody here recommend or not recommend doing my MEI in a Twinstar with the Garmin system? :confused:

Wow…I am sure this will open up a can of worms…and I may not be the expert in MEII, but here is my opinion after a few dozen hours in the Twinstar:

I personally think the Twinstar is probably about the easiest training platform to get your ME, ME-IFR, MEI, or MEII. However, I would also have to say whether or not it is the best would totally depend on what you were going to do once you get your rating. For me, my goal is to continue to fly the Twinstar and then move into a VLJ. If I were wanting to go fly a 310 for cargo, I would not want to get time or ratings in the Twinstar.

My reason is this…the Twinstar is not your typical “twin”. First and foremost the engines are FADEC, so you have single lever operation. You don’t have to worry about feathering, prop sync, mixture, etc. You simply look at the G1000, push the levers up to 80% power, and the system auto syncs, leans, adjusts props, etc. In the event of a failure, the FADEC will beat you to isolating the dead engine.

The Twinstar is also very forgiving during an engine fail. The large wings, winglets, and aero package keeps the plane single even in a critical failure. Beyond a few safety procedures in the event of an engine failure, the airplane acts like a fast single engine.

For the person who is going to stay with the Twinstar, all of these features make it something VERY safe and stable, while being fairly easy to learn. It is equally awesome if you want to move into something technologically advanced like a VLJ. However, if you are going to use the Twinstar as your training platform and then go fly a 1985 King 90, I think you may be setting yourself up for trouble. Granted you will most likely go through factory training, type training, etc. Just beware that your Twinstar time although counting in your logbook for ME, probably shouldn’t count in your mind as experience toward one of the older twins.

Although I am not the expert at all in what experience relates from one plane to another, I can tell you my personal feelings. I may be totally wrong and you might find something different. With all that writing, here is the summary of my thoughts: :slight_smile:

The Twinstar is probably by far the easiest plane to get your ME ratings.

The Twinstar is probably the safest, most economical, most fun ME in existence right now.

I think it is the best time builder for a VLJ or light jet.

I don’t think it is the best plane to build time for you to go fly a complicated twin.

Hope this helps!!

Being FADEC equipped, this plane is no longer complex because you cannot adjust the prop yourself, the computer does it for you. If I’m not mistaken, this doesn’t apply if you get it equipped w/ lycoming engines (still has the constant speed props).

what’s the single-engine performance on these twin stars?

Actually you still will have to have a complex rating due to floppy legs. (retractable gear). However, it is not High Performance being only 135hp per engine.

The Lycoming engines are not an option for US delivery.

On a single engine @mtow it will climb at 300fpm up to over 10,000msl.

You put that rather well. I have had this discussion with many people, and you would be suprised how many people are smart enough to get a bunch of ratings yet need a virtual head pounding to get that point.