Commuter Flights

Does Flight Aware show live information on commuter flights. It appears to only show information after the aircraft has arrived.

It shows all flights that have filed an IFR flight plan that aren’t otherwise blocked (search for NBAA in this forum) or are a military flight. As long as they get into the national system, they will be shown. Once they are handed over to local control, the tracking is often lost.

What do you mean by commuter flight? Joe blow commuting by air between Stockton and Palo Alto? Do you mean a flight by a regional carrier such as Horizon Air?

Please provide specific flight information.

By commuter flight, I meat airline service that is a commuter aircraft as opposed to a main line aircraft. A person may commute, but they are being serviced by a main line service the big five or whatever or a commuter like Mesa, Comair< ect that has an agreement with the mainline to shuttle people to the main service.

Check out flightaware.com/live/fleet/

Allen

The terminology usually used today is “regional airline.”

As I said earlier, the flights are tracked by FlightAware.

What I was referring to in my post was people who commuted by air in their own aircraft rather than drive. Even for relatively short routes, if you have the right aircraft this can be cheaper than driving and is a lot less stressful.

Just some examples of regional carriers.

flightaware.com/live/flight/JZA8879

flightaware.com/live/flight/EGF439

flightaware.com/live/flight/COM294

flightaware.com/live/flight/MES3403

Based on Dami’s opinion…

ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/X-50%2 … erlist.htm which is a government website sez differently.

Allen

Leave it up to AlI*'m smarter than anyone*len to come up with this. You didn’t check this: ostpxweb.dot.gov/aviation/X-50%2 … rtlist.htm

If you would read airline industry magazines, you would find out that the term used, regardless of what the Department of Transportation says, is REGIONAL, not commuter. Technically, they are called certified airlines.

The two airlines mentioned by hamilr are certified airlines, not commuter airlines (as defined by the DOT). Additionally, again if you would actually look at something airline related, you would see the majority of the carriers that are code sharing are code sharing with other certified airlines, not commuter airlines.

Your ticket might say Northwest Airlines #2170 but the flight is operated under a code share with Alaska/Horizon as their #2001. Within Horizon the actual operator it’s QXE1 and ATC calls it Horizon One.

The quickest way to track your flight is to look at the departure or arrival airport and Don’t know the flight number? link to the left of this page.

If you have a specific flight you’re trying to find, let us know.

Amusing that you feel you have the duty to correct everyone on this board, but when Allen corrects you, you criticize him for trying to be smarter than everyone else. >Insert pot calling kettle black emoticon here<

I love flying, but it would be incorrect to say that it is cheaper than driving in most situations (including costs of buying, maintaining, insuring, etc.).

I’ve read articles on people who commute using private aircraft. When you consider not only the cash outlay for gas, insurance, etc., needed for the operation of a car plus the time spent commuting versus flying you do save money. With flying, you save time and many of the smaller aircraft have operating economics close to that of a car. There’s also intangible costs such as quality of life. Would you rather spend 2-4 hours a day commuting (not uncommon here in the SF Bay Area) or 20-30 minutes?

Here’s some articles on the subject:
skypark.org/commuting_by_air.htm
aopa.org/learntofly/whyfly/commute.html
video.aol.com/video-detail/commu … 2725435557 (video)

Regarding Allen: I corrected him because he was wrong and I wasn’t. The airline industry doesn’t use the term “commuter airline” but “regional airline” (or the more good feeling “regional partner” or just “partner”).

Yes, there is a classification called “commuter airlines” but that’s not what the industry uses in its marketing.

(When searching for the articles above using Google, I realized just how fast Google indexes! This topic is already indexed in Google and it 's only a few hours old.)

Dang, guess the gubment is wrong for having commuter airline on their website, so your opinion obviously overrides a gubment source??? I DON’T THINK SO

Geeez, just when I think I have heard it all now.

Allen

I’ve actually done this in the bay area. It costs about $100 each way to commute 50 miles along the SF bay (you could do it for a little less, but that would be an average, old aluminum airplane) and it costs less than half that to drive the same route in an ‘average car’.

Typical government worker (retired or not) messing up my words. Listen carefully, turn up the volume on your hearing aid.

You may know a thing or two about general aviation but when it comes to the commercial aviation industry, I’m the man.

Welcome to Flightaware hamilr!!! :smiling_imp: