Cirrus SR-22/20

As a casual observer of general aviation accident reports, the SR-22/20 has been in the news.
Daily I read airport-data.com/ reports 2204 registered aircraft.
In the last referenced site, a comparison of the Cirrus and Lancair Columbia (I own neither or have a preference) the author states “Cirrus has been plagued with a significant number of fatal accidents (31 deaths including a Cirrus Design test pilot accident) even though Cirrus has a renown life-saving system such as CAPS. Several of the Cirrus accidents were classified as controlled flight into terrain (CFIT) where CAPS is obviously not an option. These accidents have driven up the insurance rates and training requirements for Cirrus aircraft. Many Cirrus pilots are now required by their insurance company to undergo annual recurrent training in addition to the Cirrus transition training required before they can fly as pilot in command.”
According to the General Aviation Manufacturers’ Association, in 2005 the SR22 was the #1 selling certified single engine airplane. Are there issues with the SR-22/20 which in their totality make this aircraft unsafe?
:frowning: :question:

It is my personal opinion that it has nothing to do with the aircraft and everything to do with the aircraft company. They have developed a very successful business model that includes marketing the aircraft and the image of the aircraft directly at a class of individuals that can afford it on the basis that you can become a pilot. The result is that lots of low-time pilots (many of whom do not hold an instrument rating) are flying long-haul distances in a sophisticated, high performance airplane.

When you’re using an aircraft for that kind of travel, you get burdened with time committments and tight schedules and when you’re pushing the weather envelope in a fast plane, situations can get go from bad to worse very quickly.

I am in agreement with DBaker on this one. You have to know the limitations of you and your machine. While not the same a/c type, JKF Jr. comes to mind…

It’s been a bad week for Cirrus.

This Cirrus took off, flew into weather, and pulled the chute. Nobody injured.

flightaware.com/live/flight/N751CD

Sadly, this Cirrus crashed shortly after takeoff and all aboard were killed:

flightaware.com/live/flight/N667WP

40% of their new sales are to zero-time owner-“pilots”. This stat comes directly from Cirrus aircraft personel.

EXTWA

Yeah i can see the Cirrus being a low time pilot killer because its a relatively simple looking plane but looks can be deceiving. With its Entegra System and optional anti-icing equipment its quiet complex. Its a shame that so many pilots are crashing or having problems with them. I’m going to a seminar that features the Cirrus soon and I might approach someone and see what their views about this are. This is a good thread!

its just like the Bonanza “Doctor Killer” People buy an aircraft that they can’t control (Too Much airplane for o time pilot) I have 8.8 hours in the Cirrus. I’m also a CFI CFII and have about 675 hours. I’ll tell you this after the 1st hour in the Cirrus I felt totally comfortable in the aicraft. I just don’t see how people are flying these aircraft in the ground. The aircraft has TAWS (Terrain Alert Warning System) it yells at you when the ground is 500ft below you and has a “radar” type display of color coded terrain as you fly
Again, it has to go back to inexperience!! Not the aircraft, not the aircraft company…its the pilot!!

Wait for everyone to get their new VLJ!

Oh GOD!

WOOOHOOO…I can’t wait to fly mine! :laughing: Did i mention i only have like 100+ hours haha

Good luck with that Maverick!! or perhaps in your case…Goose.

haha yea it might be like that.

It’s the Moller Skycar that really frightens me :open_mouth: but luckily it’ll never work :laughing: .

lnk.nu/aero-news.net/8hn.cfm

2005 was a record-breaking year for Columbia Aircraft Manufacturing Corporation (CAM). The company told ANN that 2005 deliveries of its 350 and 400 aircraft were up 68% over 2004…

Link edited for page width - mduell

brsparachutes.com/default.aspx

187 lives saved with the BRS parachute used by the SR-22/20 :smiley:

CAPS has been pulled on that many airplanes? The only reason that the parachute is even there is because it’s not recoverable from a spin. That many pulls (once the chute is pulled, by the way, the frame is a writeoff) means a lot of inexperienced pilots relying too heavily on a crutch for when they do stupid things like depart into IFR that they can’t handle or fly into known icing over mountains. There’s nothing wrong with the actual Cirrus airplane, but since it’s the newest, latest, fastest toy on the market, the problem is generally in the left seat. When you mix high-performance airplanes with low-performance pilots, bad things happen, and it’s ruining the reputation of an otherwise good airplane.

ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i … 0059&key=1
…“a Cirrus SR-22, N799TM, registered to Energy Systems Cirrus LLC, and operated by a private-rated pilot as a 14 CFR Part 91 personal flight; collided with the Savannah Ridge mountains at an elevation of approximately 4,500 feet in Jackson County, North Carolina. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident, and an instrument flight rules flight plan was filed for the flight from Sylva, North Carolina (24A) to Pensacola, Florida (PNS). The airplane was destroyed by impact forces, and a post crash fire.”

ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_i … 0119&key=1
…“SR-22, N889JB, was destroyed when it impacted a house, then terrain, in Coconut Creek, Florida. The certificated commercial pilot was fatally injured. Instrument meteorological conditions prevailed, and the airplane was operating on an instrument flight rules flight plan from Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport (FXE),…”
last contact,
At 1223:30, the pilot stated: “i’m losin’, i’m losin’ it again here.” :frowning:

Forty-nine records in the NTSB database for “cirrus”. The latest five are for 2006.

I have about 750 or 800 hours in a Cirrus/22 now. I got my first one with 300 hours under my belt and a brand new instrument rating. Looking back at the first 100 hours makes me a bit nervous. It is a lot of airplane with a lot of different characteristics than the average trainer. I had a bunch of 172 and 182 time before the Cirrus and they are completely different. The problem becomes not flying often enough to stay proficcient or thinking you have got the airplane down pat (which usually gets you doing things sloppy or beyond the envelope).

I think the frequency of accidents also looks higher because of the number of planes. I am going on a limb I know. There will be some statistician that will debunk my opinion, but with 2200+ planes there will be some equipment failure and pilot error. Luckily, all that have experienced either are not dead. I will gather to say that some of the Columbia/new high performance planes pilot group will have more frequency of fatal crashes. That means I think that a crash in a Columbia will more likely result in a death instead of having the opportunity to pull a parachute that will save your life in the same situation in a Cirrus.

That’s my two cents.
John

I have 210 hours on my Cirrus SR-22 picked up in November 05 from the factory. I am a 5000 hour, instrument rated pilot and the Cirrus is the 6th airplane I have owned. My first through fifth were: Turbo Arrow IV, Turbo Saratoga, Cessna 340A, Seneca V, Turbo Commander 114. I find the Cirrus the most enjoyable of all the planes I have owned. It is easily the most nimble, faster than all but the 340A (and almost as fast as she was). The schooling provided by UND at the Cirrus factory is very good. While flying the twins, my insurance company required yearly schooling, either at simcom or flight safety. The UND schooling was a cut above both of the afore mentioned. The Cirrus SR-22 is a hand full of airplane if the pilot gets behind the curve. It’s fast, and doesn’t like to slowdown from high altitude. With 10-15 hours, a 500 hour pilot will handle the plane with no problems. I agree with some of the other posts, a 0-10 hour pilot has no business in this airplane. Cirrus is in the business to sell airplanes, so unless the insurance company tightens the hour requirements, low time pilots will drive this fine aircraft into the dirt.
All in my Humble opinion…
Mike