Cessna 421 To Jet

Our company has owned 2 cessna 421C and we are flying one currently. We have 2 part time pilots that fly it for us that have logged about 800 hrs each flying piston twins. My question is what would it take them to get certified to fly a jet such as a citation bravo. I would like to no how much training time, insurance requirements, check ride, and anything else. Any iformation you all could help me with will be great. :question:

Training and checking can be handled by a company such as Flight Dafety International or Simuflite. Both train in state of the art simulators. In fact your insurance my require it. Insurance is not something I can answer. The higher their ratings the lower the premium (I would think). The good news there is their type ride can also be a ride for their ATP (highest rating possible).

Expect training to take 10-14 days. There are cheaper operations out there doing train, in fact some in the actual a/c. You will get what you pay for, besides do you really want someone using your a/c doing engine failures and stalls? Trust me I have 5000hrs+ as a sim instructor do as much as possible in the sim. Than higher a contract captain with time in a Bravo to fly with your guys for awhile, again this may be an insurance requirment.

Good luck and depending where your at I may be available to fly with you for a brief period of time maybe a month or two.

Besafe Nik

As usual Leardrvr is right on.
Don’t skimp on training, Flight Safety or Simuflite are both excellent. I’ve used both. 800 hours in a 421 is nothing to sneeze at, but what other experience do they have? Due to some relatively low time pilots having accidents in high performance aircraft the insurance company will want some significant experience. I wouldn’t try to get either of them single pilot qualified right off the bat (or ever). A second pilot is well liked by the insurance companies even if they are low time.
That class of airplane also generates a bit more paperwork, it may be worthwhile to hire one or both full time. The insurance company will like that too.

John

A contract FO will likely be much cheaper than a full time insurance policy for single pilot operation. Then again, you can’t really put a price on safety. 8)

A full time co-pilot usually costs less than paying the extra insurance premium for single pilot. And, you get a big safety benefit.

Is there an echo in here? :wink:

Apparently one of those rare, extended time ones!

Actually, Wazzu commented that using a contract FO was cheaper than paying the single pilot rates. I commented that even a fulltime FO was cheaper. But you win a gold star for reading comprehension… :unamused:

Oh, c’mon, I was only stirring the pot. :smiley:

[quote=“deef1999”]

http://img200.exs.cx/img200/7217/poke5ri.gif