FlightAware Discussions

Broken antenna on roof?

Hi,
I have an AirNav ADS-B antenna on my roof that was working fine until I fixed it with a proper iron clamp to the pole. Before it was fixed with plastic material. While I was at it I decided to move it up a bit, some 60cm more, so I pulled the cable coming out of the roof and I fixed the antenna.
I did those operations while the antenna was connected to a raspberry pi with PiAware running.
Then I started to receive only a tiny fraction of the airplaines I was receiving before moving the antenna.
I tried to disconnect the antenna from Raspberry PI and noticed that it was receiving even less airplanes.
The day after my operation on the antenna (I did it on Sat 22nd), PiAware resumed receiving the usual amount of signals, but after a few hours it dropped again.

I am not expert in electronics, radio, antennas, so I’m asking the community: what could went wrong with the antenna?

Thanks!

I am attaching a screenshot of the receiving history.

Could have broken the center conductor in the coax cable or the connection to the antenna.

Not sure how you used the clamp to clamp down the antenna or how hard you clamped it down, but that probably could also give a connection problem.

Then there is the much more unlikely possibility of a problem with the dongle.

For the miraculous temporary fix on Sunday: that could be thermal expansion closing the connection break in the cable.

Problem with the AirNav antenna is that you can’t replace the cable separately or can you?