Average detected flights per country

With the data from FlightAware ADS-B Statistics (Top Countries tab) I took the total number of detected flights (ADSB+MLAT+other) for every country and divided that by the number of feeders currently active in that country. If my reasoning is not flawed, could this be a table that indicates the level of airspace traffic density per country?

ADSB does not know boundaries. Feeders in Belgium are going to pick up a large part of Netherlands, France, Germany. Vice versa for feeders in other countries. This complicates the interpretation of average per feeder. It is not that Belgium is so busy. It is that it is picking up flights elsewhere.

For convenience I will leave out problems in comparisons, such as: Maybe feeders in Belgium have better quality antennas on average b/c they are unencumbered by HOA, local laws that limit antenna height (or the enforcement of such rules if they exist). It is too easy to conclude that if you want to pick up a lot of flights that one should move to Belgium.

1 Like

I’m afraid I think your reasoning is flawed.
I don’t believe it is valid to divide the number of flights by the number of feeders. Imagine a small state with a large number of feeders, where all the feeders actually hear almost all of the flights. Say there are 1000 flights over this sate, if there were 100 feeders all that heard these 1000 flights, your algorithm would say there were actually only 10 flights. Your logic would only work if there was no overlapping coverage (and hence no MLAT).

1 Like

Aside from the issue mentioned above where “feeder in country X” does not mean “aircraft in country X”, if you’re looking at airspace density your denominator should surely be something like the airspace volume of the country, not the number of feeders.

1 Like

If you are interested in country wide stats in Europe, check the Eurocontrol page:

https://www.eurocontrol.int/Economics/DailyTrafficVariation-States.html

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.