Attach Pro Stick to RPi with a short USB cable

Hi all, I’ve had a Pro Stick for a some time now and while problems have been few, whenever there is a problem it’s been a bit of a pain to get it sorted due to the USB ports being unusable because of the chunkiness of the Pro Stick.
I also use Putty but if there is some sort of connection issue, that option goes out the window. So I’m wondering if I can attach the Pro Stick to my RPi via a short USB 2.0 cable and if there will be any decrease in performance because of this?
Apologies if this has been asked before, I did do a search but didn’t find any similar topics.

I use a 12cm USB 2.0 cable between my RPi and the Pro Stick for exactly the same reason.
I have not experienced any problems with this setup at all.

2 Likes

Great! Thanks, much appreciated.

1 Like

I’m in a similar position as you, not enough room to fit the Pro Stick into the Pi. Have been using a 12inch USB 2.0 cable for a while now and not seen any drop off regrading performance. Also I would like to think there is a benefit in this small separation with better heat dispersion.

1 Like

Several weeks ago I added a 6" USB extension to my FlightAware SDR so I could also access other USB ports on the Pi to later allow me to add APC UPS monitoring and control (apcupsd) .
According to RPi-Monitor, in moving the FlightAware SDR slightly away from the Pi, I saw in a 3 Celsius drop in average Pi temp. Certainly a win-win situation !

1 Like

I have tested with a 32 ft USB extension cable, and it worked fine. Ran it for a week no problems.

I decided against sending a USB cable to the roof tho. I’m now using ethernet to roof and I’m using a 1 ft USB cable between RPi and the FlightAware SDR in my outdoor box.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. The added bonus of lower temps would definitely be welcomed!

That’s impressive, but I assume you are not using a fan on your Pi?
My Pis show a 10~13C drop in temp when a low speed fan (12V fan @ 5V) is added.

Several people here have reported using USB extension cables without performance degradation, but I have not found one that doesn’t impact my results. You’ll need to get a cable and test it before you can be sure you’ve got a good one.