Anyone know how to stop FA's Dump1090 from starting

so I can run OBJ’s version. Ive written one of the staff here, but have not heard back. Im a Linux Newb so my feeble searches for
the file to edit is coming up Not so good.

Hi

I’ve had problems with this starting myself.

I tried deleting the rogue version and it comes back, so what I did was change the version that the fadump1090.sh service tries to start to the one I wanted.

In my case on Raspbian, I edited the /etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh file and changed the location of the dump1090 application. I commented the original line and added the second. In my case I feed FR24, so I use the Malcolm Robb version. See below:

#DAEMON=/usr/bin/dump1090
DAEMON=/usr/lib/fr24/mr-dump1090

I think another option is simply to disable that service. I installed ‘chkconfig’ (sudo apt-get install chkconfig *) and use that to stop the service running by typing ‘sudo chkconfig fadump1090.sh off’

I should say though I haven’t tried that one.

Hope that helps*

Got 1090 stopped. That worked, just cant find the path to Mutability yet.

Think I got it. PIAWARE-STATUS gives me

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo piaware-status
dump1090 is not running.
faup1090 is not running.
piaware is running.
dump1090-mutab is listening for connections on port 30005.
dump1090-mutab is listening for connections on port 10001.
piaware is connected to port 10001.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.
dump1090-mutab is producing data on port 30005.
dump1090-mutab is producing data on port 10001.

Looks good!

Think Ill let it run for now to see what happens after a day or two before I try any changes :slight_smile:

I also feed FR24, but I use FA’s version of dump1090. Why do you use the MR version?

You can make fadump1090.sh non-executable with the following command:

sudo chmod -x /etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh

This leaves the file intact but takes away the ‘x’ flag (x is for eXecutable). Therefore, it cannot run and will not interfere with /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability in the same directory.

If you want to restore the original setting and ‘x’ flag, use:

sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh

Not sure if this best option to take in Linux but it’s simple and works for me :slight_smile:

sudo update.rc-d dump1090 remove

Didn’t work for me, but on googling it I think you just typo’d on the period and hyphen :slight_smile: So this one worked for me:

sudo update-rc.d dump1090 remove

Thanks!
I wonder if that means it’s finally gone… I’m sure it will return one day and annoy me though… :imp:

I always do that :slight_smile: especially when downloading those armhf.deb packages. I switch a hyphen with an underscore. Sorry about that. You can use that command to turn off autostart of programs on boot and to enable it as well. But I assume you are using d1090-m which does that for you as long as you run dpkg-reconfigure.

Thats the best option that worked for me. Everything is working nice now.

I’ve followed those steps to stop the standard dump1090 from starting which seems to be successful, BUT piaware did not manage to restart dump1090-mutability by itself.

Any tips on how to make this happen?