Any opinions for using the HABAmp bandpass?

Hi All,

I’m thinking of using the HABAmp

ava.upuaut.net/store/index.php?r … duct_id=85

And also the magnetic antenna located here (since this is an indoor setting, we will work with outdoor later).

dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_ … mobilehalf

I will use it with an RTL Dongle.

One concern I have is that I’m worried that a trypical 5v DC transformer might have a lot of noise on the ground or on the 5V.

Any other tips/tricks?

Has anyone tried these pieces of hardware and can share their impressions?

Thanks!

Looks like a nice amp – I’m using the same MMIC (amplifier chip) and a SAW in my systems. With an outdoor antenna, I also use a high-pass filter (Mini Circuits SHP-1000) before the amplifier. When you go to an external antenna, I’d highly recommend using a high pass filter between the antenna and amp, as the high pass filter will provide additional protection to the amplifier. Use a good feedline, and keep it as short as possible. A quality RG-6, such as used with sat dishes, will work well.

I wouldn’t worry too much about noise from a typical wall wart supply. You should be in good shape if you use a typical phone charger – those usually provide well filtered 5V at half an amp or more.

I’ve posted info in another thread about the care and feeding of our SDRs, with spectrum analyzer shots before and after high pass filtering on a wideband antenna.

Cheers–

bob k6rtm

I am using the amp you’re talking about and it has made a significant difference in both flights tracked and positions reported. I’d highly suggest you turn on AGC and set the tuner to auto or you may overdrive it and negate the purpose of the amp. The only problem I had with it was that it took a while to get to my door (shipping from Europe takes time and isn’t the fault of anyone).

I’ve also suggested another user on here buy one and his statistics have improved greatly as well. (Don’t use my stats, I am tinkering).

Also, the guy selling them (Anthony) is very helpful if you have any questions and can be reached at his email address: Anthony.Stirk (at) nevis.co.uk

A big upvote for turning on AGC once you’ve placed a low noise amplifier in front of your SDR! The normal startup slams the gain to max, which can cause problems with the extra gain present.

cheers–

bob k6rtm

Great thanks for the help guys! I think i will order the HAB and the antennae right away! Hope it makes a difference in my stats!

I also verified that both these components (HAB and the antenna) are 50 Ohm impedence, my RF brother told me to double check to make sure it was all the same impedance.

I am using the amp you’re talking about and it has made a significant difference in both flights tracked and positions reported. I’d highly suggest you turn on AGC and set the tuner to auto or you may overdrive it and negate the purpose of the amp. The only problem I had with it was that it took a while to get to my door (shipping from Europe takes time and isn’t the fault of anyone).

I’ve also suggested another user on here buy one and his statistics have improved greatly as well. (Don’t use my stats, I am tinkering).

Also, the guy selling them (Anthony) is very helpful if you have any questions and can be reached at his email address: Anthony.Stirk (at) nevis.co.uk

I’ve got one of these amps on the way… Can someone school me up on how to turn on AGC and set the tuner to auto? Thanks!

Just an update… After about 5 days of having the HabAmp online, my aircraft seen has jumped 50 to 70%.
Things look good so far!