Antenna Extension Cable - Is this the right one?

Hi,

I use PiAware on a Raspi with a DVB-T Dongle. The dongle comes with a Whip antenna that plugs into the Dongle using (I think) an MCX Connector.

The Dongle is listed here: EDAL USB 2.0 Software Radio DVB T RTL2832U+R820T2 SDR Digital TV Receiver Stick Technology|Satellite TV Receiver| - AliExpress

I would like to extend the length of this antenna and was considering buying a 10 meter long cable from Aliexpress. The cable is listed below.

The cable is basically a RF Coaxial MCX Male Plug to MCX Female Jack Cable Extension with RG316 cable.

Will this work in my setup. Please advise and share your experiences.

It will reduce the signal probably so much that you wonā€™t be receiving anything.
A random RG316 data sheet shows 12 dB of attenuation for 10m of cable.
With the whip antenna already being a bad antenna there wonā€™t be much left for the dongle to receive.

The whip antennas arenā€™t really made for outdoor use so i suspect you want to use it indoors?
Transferring the Raspberry Pi to that location is the much better choice.

A LMR200 coax with around 3.5 dB for 10 m at 1 GHz would be more suitable.
Still with a whip antenna itā€™s problematic using much cable at all but it might work.

No. Thatā€™s horrible. 10m of RG316 will give you around 8.5dB of loss (using this site for the spec). Consider that if you introduce 3dB of loss then youā€™re reducing your signal by 50%.

Iā€™ve said it before, Iā€™ll say it again. Donā€™t skimp on coax, buy the best you can afford and keep the run as short as possible.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions, I will look for a Coax cable and try to keep the run short, that seems to be a better choice.

RG316 is a coax cable.
You need the correct type of coax cable.

LMR200 for example, also available on that page you linked.

1 Like

Three Easy DIY Antennas for Beginners

RG-6 should be fine up to 30 m (100 ft). Cheap and plentiful.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t even run top quality coax of that length without an LNA.
Combine with a whip antenna 30m of RG6 will result in no reception on a normal rtl-sdr dongle pretty much.

I missed that part. The included whip antenna is borderline as is. Consider an FA antenna, then as @wiedehopf said, an LNA.

First post, maybe belong another place - I take the risk :slight_smile:
I bought one of these FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter from FlightAw | eBay
(Maybe not same supplier). Point is: I bought a 1090MHz antenna (Small whip) that connect directly to
the pro stick inside a small waterproof enclosure (antenna at the outside of enclosure). Bought a USB extension cable, cut it in half. inserted a cat6 cable in between, approx 15 meters. Used 1 pair for
VCC (2 wires), same with ground, and 1 pair for D+ and D- - Works like a charm :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting ā€œtechniqueā€.

You can do the same without cutting and splicing

(this is not a recommendation)

Indeed. I got a couple of those here, but I have not used them yet.

The way I read the post I thought it was powering the Pi as well.

In this way I power the ADS-B USB stick via the Raspberry as if you connected it directly.
No need to worry re loss of signal coax.
I think the picture you have posted is a USB to RJ45 network converter.
Donā€™t think it can be used to power the ADS-B USB stick linking them together
with CAT5/6 cable.

I have not used mine yet, but my understanding is that itā€™s a physical ā€˜converterā€™, like a DB9 gender bender of years past, not a logical one.

Could be your right. I have a similar device here, never used/tested.
Just plugged it into a USB port on computer (Nothing on RJ45 plug)
Windows find driver for it, thus Iā€™m pretty sure it cannot be used for this purpose.
If no respons when you connect your unit, it maybe can be used.

The pair I showed was listed as ā€œUSB Extension adaptersā€
If you think about it, the bottom adapter (female USB) makes no sense in terms of a network adapter.

My bad.
Any reason not using this kind of setup ? - Canā€™t see any downside.

Given the performance drop Iā€™ve observed using even very short USB cables, Iā€™d start with fairly low expectations.

The gauge of CAT5/6 is much better for distance, I would think.

Mine says: USB RJ45 Extension Adapter.

I connected it to my computer, nothing detected, no driver installed.