I purchased and received this antenna today, thinking it would improve my range. After hooking it up, my Pi only saw about 2-3 targets, with no distance or location information on the map. RSSI values were low (signal too high), around -1.5 range, so I figured the gain was set too high. I’m just a novice to all this so in small increments, starting at 25.4 I adjusted the gain. Fact is, with lower gain settings no targets could be detected and even with a gain setting of 49.6, the original wire antenna I upgraded from still goes a better job detecting a higher number of targets. I’m sure the solution is simple, but I can’t quite place my finger on it.
Raspberry Pi 3
UPDATE: Reading a little further into these forums, I’ve found at least one other user who has the same antenna and experienced the same poor performance. That’s enough to convince me to send this antenna back. I may look into to making one of the DIY ones instead.