Airspy, Uputronics LNA... and noise

I have the following setup

FA antenna above roofline
Uputronics LNA with SAW filter
50 ft RG11
Airspy Mini, directly plugged into x86 PC in the basement.

This has worked reasonably well… I’m usually number two or three for positions in my local area, and not far behind those who score better.

Over the last little while I’ve felt that my range and positions has been decreasing, so I set out to obtain a spectrum plot. This ended up being much more complicated than you might expect, as I need bias tee for the LNA, and so I not only needed software that could capture spectrum data on the Airspy, but it also had to support enabling bias tee. It turns out there isn’t any, so in the end I added an external power inserter to the chain and used QSpectrumAnalyzer. The plots you see here are from that setup.

Here’s an 800 - 1200 MHz plot:

There is obviously a strong cellular signal making it through the masthead filter, but there are also those very strong peaks repeating every ~20MHz.

Out of interest I ran the same plot with the antenna disconnected from the Airspy, with the antenna connection shorted. (With bias tee disabled of course! :slight_smile: ):

You can see that even in this situation those repeating peaks are still there, suggesting to me that they are very local to the Airspy and the PC. Not sure what I can do about that. You can also see that even in this setup there is a significant amount of cellular traffic being picked up, which to me seems unexpected.

With the antenna system reconnected, and zooming in to 1090MHz:

I was kind of expecting to see more SNR at least for local aircraft.

Anyway, I’m at the limits of my knowledge and experience here. Looking at the first plot above, I’m wondering if maybe the strong cellular signal is overloading the LNA, and maybe I should look at a cavity filter? That’s quite an expensive thing too take a punt on, so I’d appreciate any advice or opinions :slight_smile:

Hi Andrew,

I live in NYC and have a lot of QRM, so I need to use a cavity filter with my airspys and Uputronics LNAs. I use a cavity filter for ADS-B, UAT 978Mhz, 2M APRS and AIS(Boat ADS-B). It really helps my setup.

Jon

Thanks John, I’m in the suburbs of Halifax, Nova Scotia, which you would think would be a lot quieter for QRM than NYC, but those cell signals must be pretty powerful. May I ask where you bought your cavity filters, or are you one of those clever people who just machine their own on demand? :slight_smile:

I did special order 6 UAT(978Mhz) and 6 ADS-B 1090Mhz cavity filters from China. They were worth the cost.They look similar to this, however, I custom ordered them years ago. 1090 MHz cavity filter for Mode-S / ADS-B | cf1090-kt30

I also purchased a few from https://webshop.jetvision.de/en/product/filter-1090-mhz-bundle/
These are a lot more expensive than when I bought mine 4-5 years ago.

Another option I have use is the RTL-SDR LNA. Some people have found that it is not as susceptible to strong signals as the Uputronics LNA.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-rtl-sdr-blog-1090-mhz-ads-b-lna/

As a lower cost option you can also use the FA barrel filter in front of the LNA.

It won’t be as nice as a cavity filter but it’ll do the job.

4 Likes

Welcome back @wiedehopf
We missed you for a long time.

4 Likes

Was checking if there was any reports of airspy_adsb hangs and the like. There was one report that never got a really satisfying conclusion.
Anyhow it seems to be stable for mostly everone.

Also my patience is mostly limited to linking some guide or tool i made and in the long run that feels a bit narcissistic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“Also my patience is mostly limited to linking some guide or tool i made and in the long run that feels a bit narcissistic.”

Usually helpful nontheless. What @abcd567 said! Thought we lost you. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.