ADIZ Shrinking?

Is it true that they are shrinking the ADIZ (Air Defence Identification Zone) to take Martin State (KMTN) out of the ADIZ? :confused:

What source do you hear this from? Be helpful to us…

Allen

I fly out of Winchester, Virginia which is just outside of the “old” ADIZ. I was trying to buy a Detroit sectional for a flight a few weeks ago. Since it was so close to the new chart date, the subject of new charts was brought up and the guy said something about the “new smaller ADIZ” on the Washington charts. I have no idea what the new boundaries are, but I have new charts on order which should arrive any day now. I’ll post more information when I get the charts.

Well I was heading back from the FBO at KMTN to my car, and I heard some pilots talking about too much VFR traffic coming into the airport because of a shrinking ADIZ. The pilots seemed like they knew what was going on and I decided to post a topic seeing if anyone else had any info about it…I hope that answers your question…

Joe

Joey and all others who are curious:

The ADIZ “shrinking” was announced yesterday, Monday July 16th. It will take place sometime in August. I look forward to flying out of KMTN with no delay because I don’t need to file an ADIZ FP :laughing:

Thanks,
Justin Martin
RW Pilot out of KMTN

Can you provide a link with the details of this change??

Should be on the FAA home page. Not sure though. I know because I am friends witha few controllers and piltos over at MTN and they said on Saturday that it would be announced on Monday. Like I said, you will probably be able to find it on the FAA’s website.

Yeah, that’s what i thought too, but i scoured the site to no avail?? Google didn’t even reveal the answer?

its all over everywhere at Martin State

All over Martin State or not, without any official word, I sure wouldn’t want to be the first to launch without written confirmation :smiley:

I was just checking the FAA’s TFR LIST on the Web. Many TFRs have been updated showing dates since July 9th. Many of those are dated July 17th (today) in fact. Still, the Metropolitan Area ADIZ, Washington, District of Columbia is dated February 28, 2006. :confused:

It is apparently true that they are shrinking the ADIZ (Air Defence Identification Zone) to take Martin State (KMTN) out of the ADIZ? :smiley:

LINKIE

IMAGE OF NEW ADIZ AND SURROUNDING AIRSPACE:
The changes become effective August 30, 2007

I received the following email from AOPA on July 26th:

Dear AOPA Member:

Over the past four years, pilots like you and I flying in the Baltimore-Washington area have struggled with the effects of the Washington, D.C., Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). For the first time since it was implemented in February 2003, the size and requirements are about to change.

Today, FAA Administrator Marion Blakey made public the fact that the ADIZ is being reduced to a 30-nautical-mile radius, centered around the DCA VOR/DME. Many of us had been hearing rumors about it for months.

As I explained in some detail and with a graphic at the AOPA Fly-In last month, this action is separate from the FAA’s rulemaking proposal; the FAA will do this through a notam that will become effective August 30, 2007. The charts will be revised to reflect the changes.

While I fully realize this is good news for some of you, I know that for many pilots there is no change. AOPA considers this an important step in what will hopefully be an elimination or greater reductions of the ADIZ at some point in the future. It comes as a result of the more than 22,000 pilots who filed individual comments in opposition to the FAA’s notice of proposed rulemaking to make the ADIZ permanent. The nearly 400 pilots who attended the four public meetings also played an important role by having security and transportation officials meet face to face with pilots and hear firsthand the hardships created by the ADIZ.

My staff and I have leveraged this outpouring of support from pilots in ongoing lobbying efforts for ADIZ reform in meetings with security officials and Congress. We have had numerous meetings in the past year with representatives from the Department of Homeland Security, FAA, Department of Defense, and White House. We also have been meeting with members of Congress, both in aviation leadership and homeland security roles.

One of the actions we have pushed for as an alternative to a final rule was an immediate change to the notam. So, while we are not totally content with today’s announcement, it is significant.

But most important are the operational facts: The new notam will exclude roughly 20 percent of based aircraft and 8 percent of the operations currently covered by the ADIZ. It will eliminate ADIZ requirements at four public-use airportsMartin State (MTN), Essex Skypark (W48), Bay Bridge (W29) and Kentmorr Airpark (3W3)as well as a new special transition area for Leesburg Airport (JYO). As we understand it, pilots operating out of Leesburg will file a D.C. ADIZ flight plan with flight service, squawk a dedicated ingress or egress code, communicate on CTAF, and enter or exit via the most direct route. Egress procedures will also be permitted at six private/public-use fringe airports: MD47, MD77, MD43, MD14, 51VA, and 04VA.

The Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) will be modified slightly to allow better access to the Baltimore-Washington VFR corridor and for more efficient departures from Washington Dulles International. For example, one will be able to more easily transition directly from Tipton (FME) to Montgomery County Airpark (GAI). The agency is expected to make it clear that VFR flight plans will be considered “closed” when an aircraft exits the ADIZ or lands inside the ADIZ (no need to cancel the flight plan). To ease operations and communications, four new controller positions will be added at the Potomac Tracon.

The FAA is also implementing a VFR speed restriction of 180 knots indicated airspeed inside the ADIZ (no problem for those of you like me with Cessna Skyhawks and the like). This was a recommendation made by AOPA as an alternative to ADIZ requirements, not in addition to them. There will also be a separate notam requiring a VFR speed restriction of 230 KIAS in the airspace from 30 nm to 60 nm below 18,000 feet. This was done as part of the compromise process the FAA went through to obtain approvals by security and defense agencies.

And, while on the subject of the more than a half dozen agencies that had to sign off on these new procedures, let me acknowledge the fact that although the FAA was often blamed for the ADIZ, unlike the user fee issue it has truly been general aviation’s “agent for change” within all levels of government.

As you can see, these are incremental changes. Let me be clear, AOPA would love to see the ADIZ completely eliminated, but with constant broad-based security threats against our nation, almost appearing weekly in the news, we all must accept the relief that has been provided for now. Keep in mind these changes are scheduled to become effective August 30, but AOPA will also inform you when the official notam has been issued.