AAL134 Diverts to JFK

Not much of a headline, but it’s getting a bit of press, so I thought I’d offer the link to the flight track:

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1 … /KLAX/KJFK

landed safely at a nearby airport, officials said.

The Boeing 777 plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport less than a half hour after the engine failed…

Looks to have been about 600nm from JFK when it diverted. Nearby :confused: ? 1200kts on one engine :open_mouth: wow !

That’s what ETOPS is for. :wink:

1200 kts on one engine is not possible. Even with 2 engines, it’s not possible on a 777.

kts = knots = nautical miles per hour

Ok Mr. Data.

Wake up & smell the sarcasm, dami!!

That’s what they get for using CD players on the plane!

Nice.

Why would the plane divert to JFK???

There are many big airports on its way to JFK. Why would captain decide to divert to airport which is at least 1hr south with one engine (i’m not sure how far JFK is from the diversion but 1hr is just a guess). I know 777 is certified to fly at list 180 min ETOPS and higher for newer version of 777.

1. coolswapnil19 8)

Main reason would be JFK is a major base for AA. It would be cheaper in the long run to divert to JFK where the aircraft can be repaired rather than diverting to another airport where AA may not have facilities to repair it.

What if something would have happened during its long diversion. Wouldn’t the airline be liable for the upcoming lawsuites from friends & familly members of the passengers on board.

Why would airline take a chance like that???

Look at the map again - it was a relatively short distance to divert, probably less than 1.5 hours and, in any case, less than 2 hours. Don’t you think the captain would have taken into consideration all factors before diverting to JFK?

Pilots aren’t stupid, and they take all aspects into account. You can bet that if diverting to JFK would in any way compromise the safety of the pax on board, they would have landed sooner. The fact of the matter is that the plane was flying fine on one engine, and the crew knew that they could make it to JFK safely. Had something gone wrong en route, they have ways to handle such a situation.
Even with today’s ambulance-chasing liability attorneys, you can rest assured that the captain made his decision on safety first, regardless fo the liabilities involved. After that, the costs came into play, and he made a decision that he thought was best. I choose to give the benefit of the doubt to those in charge of flying the plane.

Why are you all assuming that the PIC made this decision alone?

I guarantee the PIC was in constant communication with higher authority and the decision as to where to divert was made by a committee including the PIC.

Also, don’t forget the comfort factor of having a 14.5K foot runway available.

The higher authority on an airliner is the PIC (Pilot in Command). Any decision he makes is his and his alone per Part 91.3 of the Federal Aviation Regulations:

Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.
(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

Is there room for the rest of us in that utopian dreamworld you inhabit Dave?

Yes, the PIC has the ultimate responsibility and authority to take whatever actions necessary to address an emergency. That includes pulling out the company’s SOP manual to address an engine out condition.

One of the items at the top of the list is to announce his situation and intentions to dispatch if able.

Ever read the transcripts of the CVR for UAL 232?

Yes, any smart PIC will contact dispatch and others, if able, but ultimately any decision he makes will be his, per the FAR.

Not if he wishes to remain employed it isn’t!

A decision to agree with a “request” from operations falls within the purview of “ultimate authority of the PIC”.

Ummm, a dead pilot is not exactly employable. :slight_smile:

I’d be a betting person the pilot will put the value of his life and those he is responsible over the cost of a diversion.

Allen

Et tu Allen? When did this become a contest to see just how far out of proportion my remarks can be inflated?

No one ever said the pilot wouldn’t! Just that these decisions aren’t usually made in the “heat of the moment”.

While AF4590 was barely able to maintain contact with LeBourget while attempting to keep their doomed aircraft aloft, there have been hundreds of other scenarios where cockpit personnel have maintained a running commentary with the head office right up to the moment their aircraft impacted the ground or broke up in flight.

The diversion in the beginning of this thread is an excellent example of the point I’m trying to make, as it’s highly unlikely that the PIC of AAL134 made the decision to divert to JFK on his/her own!