64-bit version of Raspberry OS officially announced

Seem to be that they left the beta status.

Raspberry PI foundation officially announced the 64-bit version:

Raspberry Pi OS (64-bit) - Raspberry Pi

2 Likes

Download Page

https://www.raspberrypi.com/software/operating-systems/#raspberry-pi-os-64-bit

3 Likes

All images direct download:

Index of /raspios_arm64/images (raspberrypi.org)

2 Likes

In addition to the new versions they also updated the Raspberry imager to V1.7.1 with new seettings, improvements and bugfixes.

Download:
Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi

News about it:
Raspberry Pi Imager 1.7 Released with New Advanced Settings, Zstd Support, and More - 9to5Linux

4 Likes

The Raspberry imager is very slow writing an image.
Just tested it on one of my cards it took twice the time with the 1.7.1 releaase compared to the latest balena Etcher imager.

Not really an improvement.

Best is Win32DiskImager. I always use it.
After the image is written to microSD card, the Win32DiskImager does NOT eject the microSD card, so it is available for adding files ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf without need for un-plugging re-plugging operation.

I have saved two files on desktop

• ssh
  • wpa_supplicant.conf

After image is written, I simply right click these files, select copy, then paste onto the drive letter of microSD card reader in Windows File Explorer.

The file ssh is blank
The file wpa_supplicant.conf contains following text. It contains my WiFi’s actual ssid and password. I have replaced actual ssid & password here by xxxxxx and yyyyyy

country=CA
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={  
    ssid="xxxxxxxxx"  
    psk="yyyyyyyy"  
} 

1 Like

I am on Linux, so not an option :wink:
USBImager is my preferred choice meanwhile. Linux is handling the external drives differently to Windows.

After writing simply open file manager and select disk, it’s then mounted automatically.
It also let me create and edit the required files without copy&paste around.

The country code should also be adjusted in your file depending on the location (just in case somebody needs to use it.

That’s a straight forward instruction for beginners:

In addition it should not go unmentioned that the Raspberry 3 is not capable to connect to a 5GHz WiFi network. Just in case someone is struggling on that

I also need to change the timezone all the time, otherwise it will be one hour behind local time. Not sure if this is the case for others too.

Me too, but only once, not all the time.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

>> America >> Toronto

All the time i reinstall the OS :wink:
Sorry for not beeing clear.

1 Like

Oh! I misunderstood :slightly_smiling_face:

Would this work for doing it via CLI?
sudo timedatectl set-timezone America/Toronto

2 Likes

That’s the default way on Ubuntu as there is no raspi-config.
Haven’t tried it on Raspberry OS so far

1 Like

Never knew and never tried.

Tried it now, works like a charm.

CLICK ON SCREENSHOT TO SEE FULL SIZE

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.