Wireless/WIFI For Antenna Connection?

Is it possible to use a wireless access point to connect an antenna to a Raspberry PI 3?

I want to install the antenna in my attic, but don’t want to run coax.

You need physical coax between the dongle and the antenna, and physical USB cabling from the dongle to the Pi.

You could put the Pi in the attic (cabled to the antenna) and have it connect over wifi rather than running ethernet cable.

obj,

Thank you for your reply.

I previously considered your suggestion, but I was concerned about the great heat in the attic during summer months affecting the Pi. I have the “turbine” attic ventilators and vents, but it still gets very hot up there.

Thoughts?

A RPi can get pretty hot even in normal conditions, at least thats my experience.

A heatsink might help, and an enclosure with fan might also be necessary. Some people here build boxes with a bigger fan that cools Pi and the (stripped) dongle. Or you could try and reduce the clockspeed. I use a Pi B+ without problems, seeing around 2800 a/c per day, so a RPi3 should not be to busy.

If you use a WiFi dongle, keep it well away from the SDR dongle. The WiFi transmissions will overwhelm the SDR and cause you to lose messages.

The Raspberry Pi is fine with temperatures up to 80° (176°F). I would try mounting it without a case so that air may passively flow over the CPU.

Thank you for your reply, but I’m not clear on that. Doesn’t the Raspberry Pi 3 have on-board wifi/bluetooth? If so, is using that an issue as you described?

If you want to transfer signal from antenna to DVB-T wirelessly, you will need a pair gadget to do this, one gadget attached to antenna in attic, other to input of DVB-T somewhere in the room.

The gadget at antenna will be essentially a frequency shifter+transmitter, and gadget at DVB-T will be essentially a small antenna (possibly with rf amplifier), to receive signal from transmitter gadget at antenna.

Now question is “For 1090 mhz, is such a gadget available commercially at reasonable price?”

Even if such a gadget is available, you will still have to run a cable to antenna in attic to feed power to this gadget, and the gadget will fry in heat of the attic.

So why not go for a very simple and easy solution: Run a coax from antenna in attic to DVB-T+Pi combo located down below in the room.

That’s not the solution, that’s the problem (that I’m trying to avoid). :slight_smile:

Is it COAX you want to avoid, or do you want to avoid EVERY CABLE (Coax, USB extension chord, Network Cable, Power Supply cable etc)?

If it is EVERY CABLE to be avoided, I dont think you can find a solution.

In this thread is an example for such a setup.

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/announcing-the-pro-stick-plus-t38099-200.html

Although not wireless, I had the idea of using a USB to ethernet device.
That is, the dongle plugged into the device and accessed over ethernet.
If it were possible, it would put the dongle right where it is best, at or very close to the antenna = nearly no cable/signal loss.
In theory, you could now have the dongle up to 100 yards/metres from your network switch/router and no signal loss.
Imagine having an antenna/dongle at some remote site with enviable reception (and internet connectivity) and you access it from afar.

I tried with a TP-Link TL-PS310U
amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-PS3 … B002LB8XFK
tp-link.com/us/download/TL-PS310U.html

Using Windows 7, I can get an RTL-SDR dongle to be presented to the system, unfortunately, even using Zadig to add the correct driver, SDR# RTL1090 etc cannot access it even though Windows device manager ‘sees’ it as the correct USB device.

I haven’t tried with Linux and a GUI, let alone command line only but on the TP-Link site, it shows how to access the device and add a printer attached to the TL-PS310U.
tp-link.com/us/faq-352.html

I see on the TP-Link website, they may offer source code for the TL-PS310U, but I’m now way out of my league.
An email to GPL@tp-link.com might yield something useful if anyone is brave enough to take it on :wink:

Nigel.