What do the different colours of a flight path mean?

Hi there, apologies for this probably dumb question from a newbie user but here goes. I was reviewing the flight path of a Virgin VS300 LHR-DEL flight this morning and most of it is shown in yellow (hybrid view) but in a couple of places (half way over the Caspian and over Turkmenistan) it changes colour to pink or grey (apologies I’m partially colourblind) I’m wondering what the change of colour represents? Many thanks, Simon

The color is giving an indication of the altitude of the aircraft.
Check the bottom of the map :slight_smile:

Also if you see a grey (dotted) line of the aircraft it is an indication that the aircraft is out of coverage of the ADSB recievers and the system is then plotting the expected trajectory for that flight.

Thank you very much Tom. That makes sense though I note I don’t seem to have that altitude bar at the bottom of my map even though I’ve fiddled with the settings both on my phone and on the browser version- because I’m only using the free version maybe?

Simon

That might be the case, maybe you can show a screenshot of the map you are viewing ? Then we can determine what you are using :slight_smile:

Thank you. I have this graphic which does show altitude but in a less easy to interpret version

Ah yes that’s the map of the homepage.

The grey area there indicates that the aircraft is out of coverage ( an estimated flightpath is presented) for that part of the flight.

The altutude graphic is part of the Skyaware map you have when you are feeding data towards Flightaware.

1 Like

Ah OK thank you Tom, that’s very helpful
best

Simon

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.