Swapped my RPi3 for a pi0W and destroyed my range! [SOLVED]

you do not need a filter that matches your range but a filter that matches the noise at your site. over there in Australia you have cell phone 960 MHz - if there is some in your range the standalone flightaware filter is really really bad at this frequency. the problem with the dongle/amplifier/filter combos like fa pro stick plus is - they amplify/filter at the wrong end of antenna run and the position their filter is used is suboptimal.

before buying new equipment first see what kind of noise is at your site - see this post: Filter not producing desired result - #11 by obj

p.s. if you are looking for an excellent filter/amplifier then go for this one: 1090MHz ADS-B Filtered Preamp Anthony from uputronics ia very friendly person - maybe he sells you one without case - this way shipping to Australia is cheaper and faster. and what I saw in your pictures you are a master in homemade cases anyways :slight_smile:

p.p.s. within rtl_power you can see some specs from your dongle too Rtl-sdr - rtl-sdr - Open Source Mobile Communications

p.p.p.s. best is one of the cheap dongles with R820T2: Rtl2832u R820t2 FM SDR DAB Digital Dvb-t HDTV TV Tuner Receiver Stick for sale online | eBay

1 Like