Results from FlightAware 1090 MHz ADS-B Antenna - 26 in

You could also just copy and paste the image, if it is a single image.
I just copied and pasted the images below.

What I found after many mis spelling attempts was that if I select the script and copy, then in PuTTY merely right click on the status line, it paste the script.

Game changer when all the mistypes I had.

Looking good!

Leave it running for some days.

i have never needed to view from a different network but user keithma posts his graphs on his site. you might contact him to see how he is doing it.

Funny part is that the old rusty spider thing I made still had better #s than this FA antenna does…

In this case i would assume a bad FA antenna. Normally a DIY solution cannot outperform the FA device

1 Like

Might need a filter then.

Strong interference on certain frequencies is sometimes handled better by the small quarter wave antennas than the FA antenna.

I don’t suppose you can swap the antennas back and forth now that you have graphs running :slight_smile:

You’d need something like zerotier to connect to your RPi remotely.

Otherwise you could do port forwarding with the drawback of making the RPi accessible from the internet.
If you forward the SSH port, you’ll need to set a secure and long password.
Main issue with forwarding port 80 for the webinterface and the graphs would be people scraping the webinterface for the aircraft data and causing bandwidth usage.

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :+1: True

Normally!

My 8 element Coaxial Co-linear antenna outperforms my FA antenna by about 10NM and a few planes per day.

They are mounted about a metre apart in free space and the CoCo is mounted about 1 metre higher than the FA antenna.

Running side by side on Pi3s each with V3 radio and amplifier/filter.

My home-made pizza is better than most store bought as well

S.

3 Likes

I am glad i used this word. Otherwise another discussion would occur :slight_smile:

Regarding your home made pizza, is this an offer to test it?

I am glad too which is why I quoted you.

If you can get here I would be pleased to offer it for you to test.

Unfortunately, Australia has very restrictive incoming flights at this time and there are NO international passenger flights into Melbourne for the foreseeable future.

S.

Even not for a good reason? I think Pizza testing should be good.
However i appreciate the approach in Australia. I have the feeling that we have too many travellers in Europe currently, the numbers are increasing.

You are one of the few lucky ones who could get a CoCo right.

Out of over a dozen CoCos I have made, none was better than a 1/4 ground plane, some were even worst.

The only reprodeable DIY antennas I cold make were Spider and V-Stub Spider. Compared to Flightaware antenna, these perform as follows (% are aproximate, just to get an idea)

FA Antenna = 100%
V-Stub = 75% (after tuning by adjusting upper wire length)
Spider = 50%

1 Like

I’ll be starting side-by-side tests with the FA 1090 antenna today but here are the VNA results for the spider I built last night…

That’s not the permanent mount. The N connector will eventually be screwed and sealed into 1" schedule 40 PVC.

For comparison purposes, here’s what the FA antenna looks like…

Of course, you can’t make any judgments based on those numbers alone.
I’ll post the results of the real side-by-side tests in a separate thread.

1 Like

Look great. Neat build. Waiting for results of side-by-side tests.

What is the material of whip, and what is that yellow thingy in the middle of the whip?

The wire is 14 AWG galvanized steel usually sold as fence wire, bailing wire, tie wire, etc. Cheaper, stiffer and more corrosion resistant than copper. The yellow thing is actually an uncrimped ferrule. If you look closely, you can see the metal part of the ferrule extending upward from the plastic bit about 10mm. It fits snugly over the wire and I slide it up and down for fine tuning. I usually start as you do with sliding two wires past each other to get an approximate length, then I replace that with a single wire of that length and slide the ferrule up and down to get into the S11/VSWR notch. A touch of solder locks it in place. The yellow plastic bit just keeps me from sticking myself in the eye with the vertical. :slight_smile: It doesn’t touch the wire so it doesn’t alter the skin effect.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic, looks like you nailed it on the VNA. Excited to see the side by side against the FA antenna for sure. The design looks robust enough to handle outdoor use as well which is somewhat rare for the spiders. Well done.

@gtj0

You have skill to build nice & sturdy antennas.

You also have a vna and nack of tuning an antenna.

I would love if your next project is V-Stub ground plane shown below: