Pilots Break

:confused: I know you may not know these questions because your not a pilot but does any one know after how many flights does it take for a pilot to get a break from flflting or vacation, and does a pilote always fly the same plane always? :confused:

Entire crews can change planes at just about any airport. I can’t tell you how many times I have been delayed because we were waiting for our crew to arrive. It is sometimes worse (delay time) if the crew is coming off an international flight because they, too, have to go through customs.

Hope I didn’t take to long to answer your question. I was on a union break. :unamused:

1. It’s almost impossible to answer your question as not all pilots fly by the same rules.

2. This Forum, the General Forum, isn’t the proper place to discuss these matters as it’s normally reserved for “General FlightAware discussions, usage tips, questions, bugs, and more”.

3. You should ask your questions in the Airlines Forum if they pertain to airline pilots.

Pilots take breaks whenever they want. Just look at those two hawaiian pilots that missed the island… :unamused:

But for AA pilots can switch aircraft for every flight. Not all pilots like that and its part of the schedule that they bid for.

For DL/OH I don’t remember having crews switch airplanes, but it could happen in a hub.

Crews are only allowed to work for 12 hours straight. The clock starts when their first flight of the day pushes back from the gate. After which they must be off for 10 hours. Also, pilots can’t fly more than 100 hours/month or 1000 hours/year.

Flights over 12 hours in length carry reserve crew that rests in a First Class seat or in a small bunk behind the cockpit until they go on duty.

Crews switch aircraft whenever they are told to by Crew Scheduling. It’s quite probable that a pilot who has been in the same aircraft type for over a year has flown every aircraft of that type in the fleet at least once.

Many unions limit this amount further, if I recall correctly.

What are the duty hours (i.e. flight hours plus time before the flight for preflight, check in, etc?). Isn’t this also covered in the FAA or union regs?

Depends on whether the pilot is flying under part 121, 125 or 135. It also depends on whether there is a relief pilot (or two) onboard. About the only common theme is a minimum of eight hours of rest time between assignments, but even that gets extended under some circumstances. Do a google search for “part 135 duty time” or 121, 125 if that part is of more interest to you. The regulations are way to big to post here.

I’ll answer as soon as I’ve had my flflt break.

On a daily basis? Breaks are when you get them. Sometimes you may get a lot of time, sometimes hardly any to even grab a bite to eat. If need be, the captain can call a meal break for his crew to eat- even if the flight takes a delay. (No one wants a flight crew with low blood sugar!)

In the USA airline pilots fly a max of 8 hours in a day, 30 hours in 7 days or 100 hours a month or 1,000 in a year. All the airline flight time limits are covered here.

Vacation? Pilots get vacation based on their years of service. Weeks of vacation are also bid by seniority. The pilots with the most seniority pick first (usually the holidays) and the newest, most junior pilots pick last…so, they get their vacation when no one else wants it.

Yes, they fly always the same plane make/model. Pilots are trained on a specific type of aircraft and they do not change equipment from week to week. For example, once assigned to a B737 they fly only 737 schedules from 737 domiciles. If they wish to transition to another fleet type, like a B767, that involves going back to training for 6 weeks or so for ground school, exams, simulator sessions and a check ride. Only when they complete this training can they fly another type however, they will no longer fly their old equipment.

Some aircraft are common rated. The pilot needs to go to school to learn the differences but once that is over they can fly any of the aircraft that are common rated.

Some examples (please correct if I got it wrong or add to the list)
757 and 767
A330 and A340
A319/320/321

I’m pretty certain the OP was asking if a pilot always flies the same specific aircraft, not the same type.

You’d be surprised how many people think that pilots can just go fly any type in the fleet, not just a specific N-number.

True, there is that exception. But even then, not all airlines will cross utilize pilots between them. Depends on the the routes flown out of a given domicile by type, not to mention the pilots bidding seniority.

No, I wouldn’t be surprised at all. However in this instance the OP was almost certainly asking if a commercial pilot is assigned and always flies the same specific aircraft.

As far as i know in the UK, pilots fly the same aircraft until they are transfered to another type, but for a Thomson Captain who was qualified on the 757 and 737, also i have been told that the only rotas for pilots in the uk is: 3days on, 3days off, 3nights on, 3nights off, same but with either 4 or 5.

Sorry, that simply isn’t true or at the least is imprecise.

If you’re attempting to state that a pilot in the UK will generally only fly one type of aircraft for a period of time I can accept that. But if you’re saying that the airline always keeps old tail No. 775 around for Roger when he’s on duty, that’s nonsense.

JHEM i did mean just the one aircraft TYPE,

Thanks for the explanation.