One hell of a ride - FlightAirMaps the way better VirtualRadarServer

that’s how this great app looks that runs on Mac, Linux and Windows :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m probably going to end up regretting this but here is a link to my live server.

http://rmm.brainstomp.com:20080/

3 Likes

P.S. I still have to get API keys for a lot of things to change the settings to view the Google Maps/Terrain/Roads option.

isn’t it cool how fast and snappy anything runs. and even over the internet it shows that your server has reasonable cpu and upstream and works like a charm. i also tried the 3d mode from your server and that works great too :slight_smile: congrats

greetings from bavaria/germany
tom

I especially like how responsive it is over iOS. My goal for this is as a test bed for a set of similar deployments I’m going to make at Skydiving centers that I go to. Knowing where the airplane is at all times will help streamline operations.

1 Like

good idea! yes - the iphone/ipad usability is something i’m really happy with. it is based on a good platform http://leafletjs.com

:slight_smile: , on raspberry pi 3 ,

1 Like

very cool :slight_smile: nice that it worked for you and you give this great app a try!

Schiphol airport

cool! and this works even on my 8 year old macbook pro - when i use the new one with i7 and 4gb graphic-card ram the satellite view woks very smooth too …

lost in third dimension :)))

Started installing FlightAwareMap on Piaware SD card img 3.5.1

1. Downloaded and wrote piaware-sd-card-3.5.1.img to microSD Card.
  2. Added feeder-id in file /boot/piaware-config.txt and created file /boot/ssh
  3. Slipped -in the microSD Card in the Pi and powered up
  4. SSHed and checked, everything working OK including dump1090-fa map (192.168.0.21/dump1090-fa/) and piaware status page (192.168.0.21)

Now gave following commands to install FlightAirMap

pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get update
pi@piaware:~$ sudo apt-get install git php5 php5-curl php5-mysql php5-gd php-pclzip
pi@piaware:~$ git clone --recursive https://github.com/Ysurac/FlightAirMap
pi@piaware:~$ sudo lighty-enable-mod fastcgi
pi@piaware:~$ sudo lighty-enable-mod fastcgi-php
pi@piaware:~$ sudo service lighttpd force-reload

pi@piaware:~$ sudo reboot

pi@piaware:~/FlightAirMap/scripts$ sudo chmod +x daemon-spotter.php
pi@piaware:~/FlightAirMap/scripts$ sudo ./daemon-spotter.php
Can't connect to your database. Check DB is running, user/password and database logs.

Now checked in browser, found dump1090-fa Map, and FA status page, both are knocked down, and FlightAirMap is not showing.

INSTRUCTIONS ON GITHUB

NOT ENOUGH STEP-BY-STEP instructions on github

QUITTING

:confused: :frowning_face: :disappointed:

why didn’t you use my way to install above?
why do you use jessie instead stretch and moreover the fa-sd-card image?
why do you copy the flightairmap files in home/pi instead var/www/html?

if you do so much different - no wonder what the result is :)))

start from a fresh stretch-lite image → install dump1090 mutability → install mysql/php/flightairmaps the way descibed in the thread. apache install no more need for → see my 4-liner how to with lighttpd

p.s. and a last WHY - why do you give up after the first try :thinking:

(1) I wanted first to try the mrethod by Author of FlightAirMap posted on Github
(2) I wanted to install FlightAirMap separately, without E-mail Alert, but your method is combination of both.

Why not? No where it is mentioned that it wont work with FA SD card image.

I followed instructions exactly as on github. Please see the screenshot of instructions which I posted in my last post. It nowhere says I have to copy files to /var/www/html.

Then what is the purpose of instructions by author on Github?

Ok will try again as you have shown above, but not now, as I have something urgent to attend to.

most coders do not have a big passion in writing howtos and install instructions.
the world we live in isn’t perfect.
your result is the revanche for not trusting my writings :)))

p.s. it is always not a good idea when doing things first doing them your own way …

Not quiet true, else America will never be discovered by Columbus. :smile:

but didn’t he think first it were india :joy:

so - my friend the canadian columbus - set your sails again and try new routes until success!

I have flown airplanes,taught navigation to pilots also for ATPL…but this thing better I will wait for its .exe release. TomMuc,please take the initiative to make it a .exe. You can do it,someone made VRS like that. .:pray::pray::pray: :innocent::innocent::innocent:

arush - you can’t make an exe-file from an webapplication. or in other words it is possible but without making any sense. on windows it’s even easier for beginners as everything in setup is done with gui-tools. install wamp → tinker a little → and in the end you learned a little about what drives the whole internet and have a stunning application to watch your aircrafts flying by :slight_smile: