MLAT on PI?

doubt it, sounds like an intense data share.

peter - the iphone 6 has a pressure altimeter installed on it, but how it reads out altitude is anyones guess. sitting at my desk it just says 10 feet, but i have no idea how to punch in the local pressure setting to give me an msl reading, even if it’s capable of it…

Right, it’s a server-side calculation. We’re more focused on the implementation of the back-end at this time rather than the display-side, although that will be the next priority!

Yes, if there are enough nearby sites.

Great idea, but when start on the FA equipments?

Probably August. FlightFeeders tend to be in remote locations without many other feeders, so MLAT isn’t really an option yet since it requires 3-4 receivers in the area.

Hi,
I recently join the “MLAT Club” and I’m very happy to see the results.
As you can see, my MLAT contribution for the north-east of France is coherent with my ADS-B coverage.
http://i.imgur.com/dKP7g12.png?1 http://i.imgur.com/3sV79B8.png

[Mode French ON]
Etes-vous volontaires pour vous joindre à l’expérimentation MLAT ?
Facile: installation en moins de 5 minutes sur un Rpi sans avoir besoin de connaissances pointues, il faut juste faire un petit mail à l’auteur / hébergeur du serveur (histoire de ne pas se connecter en sauvage et de pouvoir le contacter en cas de problème).
Si vous ne savez pas comment faire contactez moi par MP.
Il y a encore peu de stations actives en France, mais je sais qu’il y a du potentiel (surtout en RP) :slight_smile:
Coté puissance, mon Rpi B+ (700 Mhz) supporte sans broncher cette charge supplémentaire, en plus des PiAware / FR24 / Dump1090 et serveur web, donc aucun soucis de puissance à craindre, ça marche nickel (j’utilise aussi Dump1090-mutability).
Lancez vous !
PS: avez vous remarqué que beaucoup d’avions d’Air France nous échappent… en effet, la flotte de la compagnie nationnale comporte plusieurs E170/E190, non équipés ADS-B. Et ils sont nombreux à voler en France !
**[Mode French OFF] **

Next step will be to improve the antena and sector coverage (testing a coco is in progress, and expected to install a slave Rpi for North-West sector). Currently, I only use the basic antenna provided with the DVB dongle !

Excellent! waiting to improve it!

Well, since most of us RasPi users got our info and starts from SatSignal, I went ahead and kept with his tutorials and have an Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout - 66 channel w/10 Hz updates - Version 3 ($19US from Amazon) and an Adafruit BMP180 Barometric Pressure, Temperature and Altitude Sensor ($15US Amazon) and a Vktech Home Appliance DHT22/AM2302 Digital Temperature And Humidity Measurement Sensor ($8US Amazon) on a Pi B. So I have NTP accurate with PPS, GPS location, current temp, altitude, humidity and pressure.

Next is to look at upgrading my antenna, right now I just have a coffee can lid ground plane hanging about 10 feet off the ground in the corner, need to build an enclosure for the pi and put it up in the attic and look at maybe getting a diapson. (I don’t know much about the amplifiers and filters, I guess that’s next?)

Feeding from under the KSNA 20L approach path in the middle of the hotbox.
Dan
dschaper

Will PiAware MLAT be making use of the excellent work done by Obj?

What is the magic number for distance between feeders? I have a few places around the area that I would set up on, but if they are too close or too far it seems moot. Right now I’ve just setup a 2nd site that is 19 KM apart, and when I can get an antenna to the outside of our airport hanger that’ll be a third about 25 KM away (not to mention at an airport). Waiting on wifi availability at another regional airport and then that will be another 20-25 KM away from the 2nd site.

Is 20-30 KM a reasonable deal for mlat? Too close?

Yep.

I don’t know the magic number, but 20-30KM will work.

I am within Newcastle, my range isn’t fantastic but I can reach the scottish border and to Carlisle, for some odd reason I can reach Hull but not York. I’ll try to improve this as best around August when I have more time.

I’d be happy to try it, although I like to think I’m alright at Linux/Raspbian I’m not 100% on MLAT or what I need.

For info my range to EGNT/Newcastle Airport is around 2.5Mile(s).

Kr,

Matthew

Well then, I have some work to do before winter comes again then!

I’ve already noticed the reception at my 2nd site is insanely better due to there being no multipath problems nor much of any other nearby frequency congestion, so the little bent up indoor antenna is picking up almost the same amount of planes as my ‘good’ antenna outside. in the urban environment. Amazing what 20 KM will get you. Even my recent move from the downtown core to the fringe urban area resulted in a few more thousand positions, even though it is a storey lower.

Early in Obj’s trial there were good results over the North Sea triangulated by some receivers in Belgium and Obj in Cambridge - separation 260Km - at that time I was in the trial too - but I’m 160 KM west of Obj and there was no third station to for triangulation in my direction.

Three or more stations need to receive the signal - once beyond three you get confidence that the position is correct.

Widely spaced stations - bearing in mind the ‘Visibility’ requirement give the widest area of cover … but at a cost - lower flying aircraft can’t be seen by all the three stations.

Pop another station equidistant from the other three - you reduce the visible floor level and probably increase the area covered.

PiAware MLAT Beta: ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/multilateration-mlat-beta-t27073.html

There are smart people and then there are “really” smart people.

Obj is “really” smart.

Thank you Obj for your hard work.

I try to run “mlat-server” but gives me an error

pi@raspberrypi ~/mlat-server $ ./mlat-server
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./mlat-server", line 21, in <module>
    import mlat.server.main
  File "/home/pi/mlat-server/mlat/server/main.py", line 28, in <module>
    from mlat.server import jsonclient, output, coordinator, leakcheck
  File "/home/pi/mlat-server/mlat/server/jsonclient.py", line 36, in <module>
    from mlat.server import net, util, connection, config
  File "/home/pi/mlat-server/mlat/server/config.py", line 53, in <module>
    raise RuntimeError('Please update AGPL_SERVER_CODE_URL in mlat/config.py')
RuntimeError: Please update AGPL_SERVER_CODE_URL in mlat/config.py

To maintain a mlat server you are going to have to be able to solve that sort of problem yourself. Perhaps you were looking for the client, not the server?

I thought you could help me because I would do MLAT in Poland.
I have about 20 receivers available in PL

Well, send me an email if you run into real problems, I’m not going to try to support this via a forum.