How-to Read / Set Gain from SkyView and Gmap

I like the original version better. quick. no hassles. security ? well…:wink:

I care for it… I dont want anyone to steal the list of phone numbers of my girlfriends, and my panama offshore account details, which I have stored in my RPi :wink:

1 Like

Actually the new version isn’t any more complicated as far as i can see.

Now as you have already set it up leaving it as is sure is easier.

1 Like

surely you see it through your IT glasses … :wink:

I’m curious what is more complicated with the “new” approach for you?

edit: Oh i get it you mean how the thing works. i thought installing it :wink:

Yes the named pipe and stuff is kinda more complicated :slight_smile:

oh, just read all the relevant posts and do it again from the beginning. right now it works well, to my taste, so I need to devote time to other stuff. after all “if it works…”.
as I said don’t mind if anybody managed to hack a rpi that ONLY does ads-b stuff. I can leave with that. reformat SD with backup image and all back to normal. (fyi I don’t even have a credit card let alone putting codes etc in there).

1 Like

Procedure Partly Automated

Applies to following posts:

The Automated Part:

The scripts executes steps 1, 2, & 3 of above posts

sudo apt install git
git clone https://github.com/abcd567a/set-gain.git  

In the cloned folder set-gain, there are 3 files as listed below:
Use the file which applies to your install.

For Piaware SD card image

cd set-gain 
./piaware-img.sh 

For Raspbian image with dump1090-fa package install

cd set-gain 
./raspbian+dump-fa.sh 

For Raspbian image with dump1090-mutability package install

cd set-gain 
./raspbian+dump-mut.sh 

The Manual Part (After running the script as above)

(1) Execute entire STEP-4 of above posts (i.e. edit the file index.html or gmap.html).
(2) Execute Step 2.3 of above posts, i.e issue command sudo crontab -e and in file opened, add the line
@reboot /bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/gain/setgain.sh
(3) Finally, Reboot Pi to implement modifications

3 Likes

If you dont want to modify your SkyView Map/Dump1090-mutability Map

You can still set gain from an independent page if you omit step 4 (modifications in SkyView). You have to carry-out steps 1 to 3 only.

The steps 1 to 3 can be executed by auto-install script from github . In addition, issue command sudo crontab -e and in file opened, add the line @reboot /bin/bash /usr/local/sbin/gain/setgain.sh

Alternatively steps 1 to 3 can be carried out manually as detailed in posts for Rev-1.

You can then get the “Set Gain” Button in an independent page in browser at following address:

IP-OF-PI/dump1090-fa/gain.php
OR
IP-OF-PI/dump1090-mutability/gain.php
php

2 Likes

Hi guys,
long time I posted here, had no problems :slight_smile:

I update my Raspberry Pi today (sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade)
I saw that version 3.7.1 of Piaware is now running, so that is good news , I kept the conf file of dump 1090 fa during the update (this question “popped up”) and the “enable” line was added automatically, nice.

I saw that naturally the button on the screen to change the gain was gone (as expected), so my question is : I have just to adjust the index.html file to get it back ?
The gain.php file is still untouched.

Thanks for any advice.

/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html
directory is overwritten on updates.

So depending on what you changed in that directory you are going to have to do that again.

Yes, index.html only. Please do this:

Hi,
made the adjustment, all ok for the moment

1 Like

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help, using Jessie dump 1090 mutability, getting to step 4.3, but it can’t find sudo_button to insert text, where am I going wrong

The gmap.html you have looks different, it has a newer ol version.
Looks like it’s not original dump1090-mutability.

I’m not sure where you got this version.

This is the skyview working

That’s dump1090-fa. Not mutability.

Look for the guide for that.

I think this is the updated guide for dump1090-fa package install:
How-to Read / Set Gain from SkyView and Gmap - #104 by abcd567

1 Like

Skin of Skyview but inside dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev (see top-right of aircraft table)

I think this hybrid needs its own method. None of methods given above can work alone.

Use all steps for dump1090-mutability (click here) except STEP-4 (which is for adding button in map). Instead use (STEP-4) of dump1090-fa (click here)

Interesting.

I’d just install dump1090-fa and remove the strange hybrid going on.

The best of both worlds :slight_smile:

Cheers for the suggestion, but it came up 403 Forbidden, it was worth a try. I don’t want to change the present install as I don’t know if it will affect other sites I’m feeding to. But thanks again for the help