How to improve performance of whip antenna of DVB-T

not that easy the metal is really hard.
What is the utility of this spiral?

YES, I faced this but somehow managed to cut :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually 52mm is required as threaded stub is already 15mm inside the base, so 15mm+52mm=67mm. Measure how much is up to spiral. Most likely you will get 52mm without need to join extra piece. Please see photos below.

2 Likes

thanks a lot, 52mm is exactly what I have before the spiral in the 433Mhz antenna in the kit. gonna try now

If your stick is indeed the Smartee model, be careful with what you connect to it, on the antenna side. There is 5V always present there. Any short and you may release unwanted smoke.

1 Like

Thanks yes is the V2 model which has this added power supply on antenna.

I am not really into this world of radio amateur things so any further info about that would be great

You can continue to use the stick, as long as you keep in mind that the voltage is there, always.

People typically use the Smartee when they also use an external pre-amp and/or upconverter, since those need power. If you don’t plan on using either, save the Smartee for that, and order the FA Pro+ stick.

Now I have bought this and I will not buy another one…
Did you think that if I use a filter I will burn something?
Could I change the antenna?
How can I use this power supply to improve my setup?

Thanks

Fair enough.

It depends on the circuit. Hard to say without knowing exactly what it is, and how it was designed.

As long as you don’t use antennas that provide a path for DC your are OK. The one you plan to use is OK, unless the cheap wiring/connections inside short.

For ADS-B, one use would be to power an RTL-SDR Blog pre-amp/filter combo.

2 Likes

It can power for example this amplifier / filter combination:
New Product: RTL-SDR Blog 1090 MHz ADS-B LNA

2 Likes

@nikka93
I have RTL-SDR Blog Tripple Filtered LNA and it improved reception considerably when I tested it.

NOTE: The photos below show a bias-t and a 5V dc adaptor to power the “rtl-sdr tripple filtered lna”. With your dongle (Nooelec V2), you will NOT need these two items as your dongle has a built-in biast and provides 5v dc power supply from RPi or PC.

1 Like

Is possible to buy it in Europe?

If you mean shipped to Europe, yes. If you mean local purchase, I don’t know.

Buying from the RTL-SDR Blog page is likely cheaper.

@nikka93
The thing which has first priority and biggest impact on performance is a good antenna, and unobstructed outdoor location for the antenna. The Filter & LNA come next.

I use Flightaware 26" antenna which I purchased from Amazon

1 Like

I would disagree, the step from no LNA to LNA as in his case is quite big.
Remember he’s not using a blue prostick.

You can get quite a good range with the rtl-sdr LNA and a quarter wave ground plane antenna.

… provided the quarter wave ground plane antenna is located outdoor, or in a window, or in attic.

i will probably put it outside on a 6th floor with no obstruction and almost horizon view ( apart from one side where is the building )

I can see some improvement. I think…

The scan you have posted is meant to show the interfering cell/mobile signals, and affect of adding a filter. It will not show improvement in performance due to change in antenna or antenna location.

Better use graphs to compare affect of changing your setup.

Copy-paste following command in SSH terminal and press Enter key. The script will do all needed, and announce completion when finished.

The command is very long, scroll right to see and copy in full.

sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090/master/install.sh)"

After installation, wait for 10 minutes for some data to be collected, then in your browser go to this page to see graphs:
IP-OF-PI/graphs1090/

For detailed instructions, go to this page:

https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090

2 Likes

Ok mate thanks. I’ve seen more yellow traces around 1090Mhz with modded antenna so I supposed that was working better.

This is what I obtained today with graphs1090

If you want to improve reception of local traffic, you might need to reduce gain.
Thoughts on optimizing gain - #2 by wiedehopf

2 Likes