High Level Receiver

If I had an antenna that received vhf I would use it!
Do you know how performance is compared to that of flightaware?

I don’t know anything about this antenna, but I think it’s an ‘excellent’ antenna, if you want to negatively impact your ADS-B station. Others may not agree, but I’ll stick with this opinion. :laughing:

2 Likes

Anyone know any good antenna with European seller?

These are on the higher end of the scale.

From

I use their Mode S beasts, Radarcape and cavity filters.
I use DPD antennas because they are locally made.

Buy the best coax you can afford.

Happy? :smiley:

1 Like

I want to be able to have the best receiver around, money permitting and for this I don’t use any coaxial cable!

What else do you use then?

Simply nothing!
The antenna is connected to the pigtail which is directly connected to the dongle which is in turn inserted into the raspberry

A pigtail is still coax cable. The one you acquired might be of bad quality.
Also 5 m of LMR400 really are no issue.

Fix your antenna location first.
I would not expect the Jetvision antennas to be an upgrade over the FA antenna.

2 Likes

The old real estate maxim applies to ADS-B reception: location, location, location. :wink:

Probably, the antenna will be placed outside tomorrow. It will have a 360 degree view, but at a distance of one meter, for 180 degrees, it will have a wall less than two meters high

Anyone know any plans for a DIY yagi antenna?

And you put everything at a pole with 30 feet height to get best reception or?

If not, you can use the cheap version.

Law of Diminishing Returns

Yagi Calculator

Just get a thicker PVC pipe, cut a little piece and slide it over. Check at the store the ID to be just slightly larger that OD of what you have. I am not familiar with metric sizes…
This is a table for US sizes: PVC Pipe Sizes Chart
Schedule 40 1" fits tight inside 1-1/4".
Or just buy directly a Schedule 80 pipe, has thicker walls.

luckily it wasn’t like that and moving it out, even though the temperature of the CPU has increased considerably, I have a coverage of about double.

I did one myself and it works. Its not hard at all.

I’m sorry but I did not understand. What are you referring to?

Would you be kind enough to give me precise measurements?

I used this site: VHF/UHF Yagi Antenna Design - K7MEM for the calculation and made 15 element antenna. Results are better and I also bought RTL Adsb LNA as per suggestions from Wiedehopf which improved reception by miles.

1 Like

Yagis are very directional. If you are wanting to only receive from a narrow/single direction one may be of interest and would provide high gain, but if you are wanting to receive from aircraft all around you or a large segment of the compass, a yagi is probably not appropriate.

2 Likes