Had to give up flying lessens

I have a sppeech problem and was told I couldn`t communicate well with FBO or FAA control towers

So what is going to happen to you?

Did the FAA tell you that you couldn’t keep flying OR a CFI?

what about if you fly only vfr, and some planes dont have radios they fly just fine using hand held lights, and what if you always fly with another pilot.
cant they just put a restriction on the license that stats must fly with another pilot who can talk?
im just trying to think of a way for you to keep yoru dream alive.

Can’t be. Hearing isn’t even a requirement for a pilot. We have a guy at out field we call NORDO and it isn’t because the radio doesn’t work.

Hell, there is a guy without hearing that holds an IFR ticket (with restrictions).

(Searching for links)

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

stonedeafpilots.com/ Check out the TV screen. Now that’s funny!

deafpilots.org

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

Correction, he has a Commercial ticket now.

Matt Hermann, the deaf pilot
who spoke at our Deaf
Awareness YE Rally in September,
has just received his
Commercial Rating.

Frank Holbert
160knots.com

I get the feeling this is either a put-on or the guy cannot speak English well enough to get a license (or certificate).

I’m with you- did you see how he spelled sppeech?

Yup - and “lessons” wasn’t any better.

being illiterate is allowed.

For the couple of you that think is a put on or something to that effect. the speech problem I have is I stutter. Sometimes its not bad at all and then their are others that are kinda bad.’
I e-mailed AOPA and they said I may not even be able to get my license because of my speech.

I apologize for my statement. You need to understand that more often than we like we do get the occasional person who is putting us on.

I wish you luck in getting your license. This may sound silly and I haven’t tried because I don’t stutter but have you tried “singing” when talking, at least on the radio? I’m not basing this on anything scientific, just the fact that quite often stutterers can sign without stuttering Perhaps something close to a song but not a song - perhaps the way many in the Caribbean speak. Not trying to put you down but just trying to help.

Again, I apologize for my original statement.

Don’t listen to those idiots.

First can you read and speak the English language? then you can be a pilot.
Also if Bill Walton (former Portland Trailblazer NBA center) can over come a speech impediment and become a sports television announcer, then you can also.
Call the FAA don’t listen to AOPA.

Don’t ever let someone sh*t on your dreams, if you want it go get it

as stated above, we too have had several deaf pilots (meaning no usage of the comms) at my home airport as there is a school for the deaf there. I’ve been in the pattern with them.

It can be done.

[quote=“pfp217”]
as stated above, we too have had several deaf pilots (meaning no usage of the comms) at my home airport as there is a school for the deaf there. I’ve been in the pattern with them.

It can be done. [/quote]

So what is it, light signals for these guys? Thats unimaginable. :confused:

Deaf people shouldn’t leave the house.

Nor should people with excellent hearing and eyesight. Frankly, too much awareness is just a deadly hazard. Better to keep your head safely under a pillow.

Actually I’ve started wearing a bicycle helmet at all times, and so far so good. :wink:

[quote=“Beechluvr”]

So what is it, light signals for these guys? Thats unimaginable. :confused:

There were only 2 that I know of, so it wasn’t like there were a bunch in the pattern, but it’s a non towered airport, so they don’t have to make radio contact. You do have to keep your head on a swivel a bit more, but the guys that flew here were very observant of proper traffic pattern entry and flying so there was never a problem.

and that “this is CNN” guy has a speech problem too, and he does ok
but yes i heard that studders that sing don’t studder while singing.

its weird. same thing with psych patients that are deaf, they never report they hear voices, or blind psych patients never report they are seeing things.
the voices dont know that you dont have hearing, so why cant you hear voices.

anyway. the easy solution is to have a pilot fly with you. also maybe if you learned morse code you can key the mike and communicate with the CT that way. again just trying to help you with UR dream sir.