Flightaware prostick plus help needed!

Hello, I just purchased a flightaware pro stick plus.I thought it was a plug and play unit !!
What software do I need or can I use with it to get on the air to see traffic ?
I do this to myself all the time :slight_smile:
ANY HELP would be GREAT as to get my flightaware pro stick plus up and running…
THANKS in advance for any help .
Steve / N7DPX / Lakeside,AZ.

1 Like

Steve,

There is information here to install the software on a Raspberry Pi.

Why kind of device have you connected it to?

Hi,I don’t have a Raspberry Pi ? I just have the unit plugged into my laptop at this time.
And also connected to an outside antenna.I was not aware that I needed a Raspberry Pi to have this unit work?
I thought I would just have to download some software and I would be up and running.I a a TOTAL NEWBIE to all of this !!!
Can I download some software to get up and running or is it more involved than that ?

THANKS for your reply

Steve / N7DPX

1 Like

If you just want to look at planes on your own Windows pc screen, download and install RTL1090. There is lots of info on-line on setting it up.
Once you have that worked out, you can find the info on-line if you want to start sharing your data. Most people here seem to use the RaspberryPi option, but I had a mini PC sitting around looking for work.

1 Like

@N7DPX
@jonhawkes2030

Installation of prostick

1 Like

@N7DPX
@jonhawkes2030
@belzybob

Another alternative is here:

Run Piaware from Win/Mac Laptop/Desktop - Absolutely No Software Installed on Hard Drive

1 Like

Hi, I purchased a new raspberry PI 3.I am 67 years old and a Windows 10 baby,I finally gave upon the raspberry PI 3 !! I just can’t seem to be able to crasp the software and the updating and all to get the PI 3 to work !! So I just put it all back in the box it came in and set it up on the shelf !! Its way over this old guys ability to program !! I guess my big plans of tracking air planes is dead in the water before it even started ?? I thought I would be able to find some software to make my new pro stick plus work !! I even purchased and real nice gain 1090 antenna to put outside to run the pro stick plus…Oh well back to the well known drawing board at this point I guess ? THANKS for any comments, Steve / N7DPX / Lakeside,AZ.

I will be 67 later this year. It is absolutely within the abilities of us old guys to get this running on the Raspberry Pi! I’m living proof! :slight_smile: you can do it too.
http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

I went round and round for two evenings.It is just not any fun any more after that much time…This is my fun hobby and when it gets this involved it takes the fun out of my ham radio hobby…I will just move on and try something else…THANKS for your reply…
Steve / N7DPX / Lakeside,AZ.

@N7DPX

STEP-1

The very first thing you should do is to insert your microSD card into your Windows Laptop’s card slot through an adapter (which is usually supplied with microSD card).
microSD%20Card%20with%20Adapter-1

If you use a Windows Desktop which does not have SD card slot, you will have to purchase a USB type microSD card reader which can plug into uSB Port of Desktop.

microSD%20card%20reader%20USB

STEP-2

Download microSD card image writer (win32diskimager-1.0.0-install.exe) from here.
After download run it to install it on your Windows Desktop/Laptop.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download

STEP-3

Download Piaware SD Card image on your Laptop/Desktop from here

http://piaware.flightcdn.com/piaware-sd-card-3.5.3.img.zip

STEP-4

Unzip piaware-sd-card-3.5.3.img.zip
You will get piaware-sd-card-3.5.3.img

STEP-5

Start Win32DiskImager, and select the piaware-sd-card-3.5.3.img, then click “Write” Button.

Win32DiskImager

STEP-6

When Write is completed, open Windows File Explorer. You will notice the name of microSD card has changed from “Removeable disk” to “piaware”. Double click on it to open it. You will see many files and folders.

Right click on it and create new TEXT document and rename it SSH or SSH.txt

If you have a wired Internet connection to PI, eject the card reader/microSD card, slip out microSD card from Card reader.

If you are using WiFi connection to Pi, configure it as follows while the microSD card is still plugged in the Windows Laptop/Desktop

Open the Explorer program
Select the Micro SD card device labeled piaware
Open the file labeled piaware-config.txt
The file will open in Notepad

scroll down to following lines

wireless-ssid MyWifiNetwork 
 wireless-password s3cr3t

replace MyWifiNetwork with the name of your WiFi (aka the SSID of your local network)
replace s3cr3t with the password to your WiFi.

SAVE the file piaware-config.txt

After configuring WiFi, eject the microSD card from Windows computer

STEP-7

Slip microSD card in Raspberry PI, power up, wait for 5 minutes, then in your browser type:

ip-of-pi/dump1090-fa/
the ip-of-pi will be something like 192.168.0.12
It will show you a map with planes. You may need to move map to your location.

STEP-8

Now final step. While logged in to your Flightaware account, go to this page and claim your PIaware station. You will get your station number there.

ENJOY!

2 Likes