Does the FlightAware 26" 1090Mhz have built in groundplane?

Nay, it was Professor Dumbledore of Hogwarts who did it. :slight_smile:

Hammer drill is not equal to hammer drill. There are drills which use a pneumatic piston for the hammering actions which is much more effective for concrete than the smaller hammer drills which rely on the operator pushing really hard while two discs rotate over each other and create small impacts.
If you donā€™t have a pneumatic one (only internally pneumatic they are still electric) then you are almost out of luck in good concrete.

Well, gettting back on topic for a necroā€™d thread, but I needed some grounding advice.

Bad storm rolls thru and I lose a component. Two radios and now a pi with its power supply fried today.

Fortunately I have backups as my feeder does a lot of work in the DC area, but Iā€™m curious if my attic install for antenna is causing havoc via induction when these lightning strikes hit.

Rtl sdr3 with line amp. 25ā€™ run from antenna/amp with recommended wiring.

How do I keep from frying stuff? Fancy surge protector? Ethernet runs 1ā€™ to a netgear Orbi satellite. My performance is amazing otherwise, being a top feeder worldwide.

Nearby lightning strikes create large potential differences between power circuits and ā€œgroundā€ potentials. Is absolutely everything involved ā€“ Raspberry Pi power supply, preamp power supply, Netgear Orbi, video monitor, etc. ā€“ powered from a single, common, preferably surge protected, multi-outlet power strip connected to a single AC outlet?

If the preamp power is not injected into the coax, is there a separate 25ā€™ power cable to the antenna/amp? If so, what kind of cable?

Is there any ā€œgroundā€ connection at your attic antenna/preamp location? If so, I would remove it, as nearby lightning will create a large voltage difference between that ā€œgroundā€ and the Raspberry Pi circuit ā€œgroundā€.

Orbi and Pi are on same receptacle. I am going to add surge protection ā€¦surprisingly didnā€™t do that the first time and canā€™t remember why I didnā€™t.

LNA is @antenna with 25ā€™ , power to coax injected thru rtl-sdr

Iā€™m certain the outlet is grounded but the power to the pi is not a grounded transformer; itā€™s their recommended PS. So grounding isnā€™t exactly there in this case.

As the Orbi has had no issue, I have to at least consider the entire length of wire is injected with current, via induction, which I believe you are addressing.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been a hectic few days. Thanks for the reply

Antenna related surges:

1. Ground the antenna mast
  2. Install a Surge Protector in the coax, preferably before the coax enters the building
  3. Ground the Surge Protector body.

Power & Communication lines related surges:

1. Install Surge Protector at AC mains power supply to the Power Supply Unit feeding RPi.
  2. Install Surge Protector on Internet cable to modem.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

grounding_diagram

1 Like

Ā 
Ā 

Lightning Protection Guide

Ā 
Ā 
Ā 

1 Like