FlightAware Discussions

Do I Need A Filter?

was hoping to use on pi oh well thanks anyway

Is there anything I can do to help with the above scan? That is with a FlightAware 1090 MHz ADS-B Bandpass SMA Filter plugged in.

And a prostick+ i assume?

If you are in Europe, a dark blue SMA filter might fare better.

Actually with that nasty interference near 1066 MHz, i’d personally try a SAW filter:
https://www.amazon.de/AirNav-RadarBox-1090-ADS-B-Filter/dp/B082WR1SDF

There are other makes.
SAW filters have sharper cutoffs and a narrower bandpass than the LC filters from flightaware.
(and the dark blue FA filter is much narrower than the very wide light blue FA filter)

Yeah I have a FlightAware Pro Stick Plus and a FlightAware 1090 MHz ADS-B Bandpass SMA Filter. Which is the dark blue one. (https://thepihut.com/products/flightaware-1090-mhz-ads-b-bandpass-sma-filter)

I am in the UK so yeah Europe - Is the filter you have mentioned not similar to the flightaware dark blue one i have then or are they different in their own ways?

It’s interesting that that’s a frequency of computer memory – I wonder if that’s internal noise from the host (if using a PC) or RF from a nearby machine or via the mains.

1 Like

It’s connected to a Raspberry Pi - The next room does have computers in. Anyway, I changed wall socket and also turned off the computers to see if it would make any difference. Re-did the scan and looking at it, it’s pretty much the same.

Where is your antenna located?

Next to the window - I would love to get it outside but it’s a rented house and drilling holes is probably not going to go down well. I’ve also tried putting it in a room at the back of the house and whatever is running at that freq still shows up.

Is it still there if you disconnect the antenna?
Maybe it on the supply to the dongle and not actually being picked up by the antenna at all.
What version of RPi is it?

Sorry for the delay - Re-did my Pi Setup (OS, feeders etc). This is all running on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B V1.2

With antenna plugged in

scanwith3

scanwith2

Without antenna plugged in

Well, that shows it really is being picked up by the antenna. Just need to find out where it is coming from.
I’m wondering if it might be coming from the pi itself?
Can you try increasing or reducing the distance between the pi and the antenna and see if the level changes?

1 Like

so using a filter on the RB Green would be useless right?