Do I Need A Filter?

That one is actually for GSM-R. Used by European railways. It could still cause problems though if you are near a railway line.
This is the normal GSM one

3 Likes

I dont know German language except ā€œgutten tagenā€ and ā€œauf wiedersehenā€ :slight_smile:, thats why could not make out it is for railways. It caught my attention due to frequency mentioned and the word GSM.

2 Likes

This official German Government one, quoted by LawrenceHill, also says 862-960 Mhz, same as in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia data is generally authentic as they mostly use data from government or reputable research organizations.

I really need a filter to block the GSM, in a 500m radius I have 6 GSM antenas (3 in line-of-sight). Currently Iā€™m using Pro Stick Plus with light blue filter and a PCB antenna.
As a future plan I will try to build a cavity filter and try to tune it using the ā€œNoseā€ Generator and a regular SDR dongle, does any one here ever tried it?

antenna

1 Like

Cavity filter, if built & tuned properly will provide very good filtering.
However, an easier solution to remove GSM900 interference is to use Dark Blue ā€œ1090 MHz Onlyā€ filter.

Pretty sure itā€™s somewhere in this thread of almost 600 replies, but is this filter helpful if youā€™re using already the blue Pro Plus stick?

Has someone tested the differencies with or without it?

Yes, I have. Well with the older light blue filter.
With just the ProStick plus I was receiving about 600,000 messages a day. Adding the filter increased the number of messages to around 900,000 a day.
Here is a screenshot from when I added the filter back in 2018. Filter was added on 3rd May 2018

3 Likes

It entirely depends on your location.
For some itā€™s a big difference, for some basically no difference.

2 Likes

I could not make out if ā€œthis filterā€ and ā€œthe filterā€ mean the FA dark blue filter or Cavity filter. Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

Neither, the filter I added back in 2018 was the older FA light blue filter.

2 Likes

Those results are very surprising to me as well, especially the filter first tests since the insertion loss of these cavities are quite low in comparison with the SAW units. Iā€™m wondering if it was slightly off tuneā€¦not that it could be far since itā€™s only a 8Mhz pass (and youā€™d know it for sure!), but 1090 could have been hanging on the edge of the curve. Did you happen to sweep the particular unit on a VNA by chance?

Thanks for all your replies. Maybe i give the dark blue one a try later as itā€™s not too expensive just for testing.

I tested it a number of ways but the primary way at that time was by comparison with a nearby station that I used as a reference. The nearby station was consistently ahead of me in the rankings and adding the filter put me ahead. I could compare the hourly figures of both stations to see if my changes were having a beneficial effect. Since then I have set up my own reference site.

4 Likes

Iā€™m about to do some changes to my setup. Currently I have the ordinary FA-antenna on the roof and a RTL-SDR tripple-filtered LNA. Works ok but Iā€™m suspecting that there are interference from the numerous cellphone towers around me. Living in a more rural part of Sweden so the cellphone transmitters are more powerful (and have lower bandwidth as a consequence) than the ones in the cities. There are 6 towers within 3km (2 miles for the US-people) and when I do a spectrum scan it looks like this:

Iā€™m going to add a cavity filter (from Sysmocom) between the antenna and the LNA. Tried with the cavity filter indoors and after the LNA, but that didnā€™t have any obvious effect on things. So now I have put together a water proof box with the cavity filter and an RTL-SDR tripple filtered LNA and it will be put in place sometimes during the week.

Will make a new scan when itā€™s up and running.

1 Like

The antenna is approx 7m from where I have my dongle and RPi. A bit too long to run a USB-cable even if itā€™s an active one. I have a low-loss cable (0.3dB loss per meter) after the LNA so the loss is not a factor. The cavity filter (7 pole) will be connected with a 0.5m long LMR400 cable to the antenna and with a 15cm cfl200 cable to the LNA). Should be good enough.

I have a good quality USB cable with ferrites between the airspy mini (metal housing and probably good enough shielding, @prog usually knows how to make good stuff).
I also have taken measures to keep every RF-producing part separated as much as possible from the airspy.

I feel that the only thing left if this doesnā€™t work is to build a couple of faraday cages for the airspy and the RPi, but I suspect that the benefits from that are so small (pre covid-19 I had 6-700 aircrafts on a really good day and an average coverage in all directions of 220 nautical milesā€™) compared to the cost of building proper faraday cages. Probably more to be gained by installing a tall mast and removing a couple of trees that block in some directions.

Thanks for the tips though. They are sound and may help others to squeeze out some more from their systems.

2 Likes

Today the weather was good enough to make a trip up on the roof. A new box with the 7-pole cavity filter from Sysmocom and a tripple-filtered LNA from RTL-SDR replaced the old box with only a triple-filtered LNA.

Triple-filtered LNA only (1m CFL200 cable between the antenna and the LNA):

7-pole cavity filter with triple-filtered LNA (0.5m LMR400 cable between the antenna and filter):

The scan is made with Spectrum Spy and with a gain of 17 both of the times.
Looks a bit cleaner on the lower frequencies (terrestrial TV transmissions) and perhaps a little less interference from the 4G downlink (960 MHz).

I havenā€™t done any testing yet, but I see an increase compared to yesterdayā€™s numbers. I also the that I perform better compared to some neighbouring sites (they are all below yesterdays numbers) but itā€™s too early to draw any conclusions from it since the traffic is what it is in these strange times.

Now I will start fiddling with gain and preamble settings for some time to see if things are different than before.

4 Likes

My godness!

Iā€™m planning to buy the Fightaware pro stick plus + ADS-B1090 antenna (0.6m, 5.5dBi) to upgrade my current setup (just from 1.0v to 1.2v :stuck_out_tongue: ). So do you recommend to plug-in the FA stick into a USB hub instead direct to the Raspberry right? what kind of USB hub? :roll_eyes:

Thanks in advance!

Iā€™ll just say that probably quite a few of long time posters would disagree about not connecting the SDR directly to the RPi.
Connecting the SDR directly to the Pi is how itā€™s usually done and provides very good results for many people.

@hdtvspace seems to have jinxed hardware as it seems everything is behaving different for him.

I always get the impression that using a USB hub only improves the results because they usually have their own power supply.
On the other hand, trying a USB hub doesnā€™t hurt.
But the the USB connection of the FA stick is designed with RFI in mind.
So iā€™m not sure itā€™s valid to say that this is always an improvement.

1 Like

Fully agree. :+1:
Using a USB extender cable often results in problems (even if it is a short length), if quality of USB cable is not good.

1 Like

If external noise is of concern, do not use a USB 3 hub. That said, a Pi4 already has the noisey USB 3 chipset anyhow, soā€¦