Criteria for Aviation Weather Hazard (Avoid vs. Go through?)

I have heard that a pilot may have to re-route his/her trajectories if weather hazards (e.g. icing, convective, volcanic ash, and turbulent) are showing up to the original planned trajectory. In the meantime, I have also heard that the pilot may not avoid the weather hazards but go though them because he/she is able to do it. I am wondering what is the criteria for him/her to make the decision? For example, what makes him/her to go through or to avoid the weather hazard? I am guessing that the pilot has to avoid severe convective; however, it’s fine to go through them if visibility is guaranteed?

For private flights, it is a matter of what you are comfortable with and the aircraft capabilities. There are also legal issues. There are less limitations for private flights. I have my minimums and they are way more restricted than the legal requirements. I have a PPL( A) and CPL(H) but only fly privately. I did more because I want to be a safer pilot and not kill anyone. I also have the luxury of being able to fly when I want. I did a lot of accident research when I was a student.I took my family to a cliff side restaurant in a Bell 206 a few days after I got my licence. There was a patch of burnt grass from a helo accident a few weeks before. I still enjoy watching crash investigation programs on TV.

Commercial flights are also limited by the operation manual and tougher legal requirements. There have been many commercial flights downed by “get there itis”. Having two pilots can reduce this risk. They also usually undergo a lot more training. A simulator is great for exploring diverse problem scenarios. More capable aircraft and support increase the weather ranges that are safe.

1 Like