Clock unstable

You probably moved from a border area where you were in two mlat regions, to being in only a single region.

Thanks obj!

I am having the same problem. My MILAT won’t stay connected and it says that my local clock is unstable. I have tried many times to get NTP to run without success and I have not had any luck starting the NTP pool. It tells me that it is in the Debian Pool?

Thanks

MLAT doesn’t use NTP.
It uses special timing packets from aircraft and the clock within the dongle. If there aren’t enough aircraft visible then it won’t work.
It is also possible that the USB bus is having issues or the RPI has power problems.

Maybe post the exact messages, removing any personal information first.

It says “Warning local clock source is unstable”.

If I run timedatectl it shows that the UTC and my Locat Time are right and that the system clock is synchronized and that NTP is inactive.
Maybe it that I don’t have enough activity,

Thanks for your response

Is there some way for us to look up our MLAT data as seen by your server that you showed in this message?

No, that is internal data. Is there a specific problem you need looking at?

No, that is internal data. Is there a specific problem you need looking at?

No, that’s OK. I switched to a different antenna and my MLAT stability seems to have improved.

I moved my pi and antenna to a different room and changed it from the wifi extension to the main wifi, and the MLAT suddenly decided the clock is unstable… any ideas why and/or how to fix it?

I had the same error message (local clock source is unstable).
The USB-connection was okay, but the nut on the cable to the antenna was a little bit disengaged.
When I re-fixed it, the MLAT worked well again.
Perhaps I touched the cables when I changed the NAT-HDD beside it.

Conclusion: This error message can be caused not only on USB-errors, but also from the connection from the USB-dongle to the antenna.
This could be helpful.

1 Like