Built my first antenna and doubled my coverage

The copper is from romex electrical cable.

The link further up in this thread doesn’t have the direct link to the PDF, so here is a dropbox link:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 … ntenna.pdf

Marty

Got it. Thanks for the help.

How did you get Virtual Radar to produce that pattern? I’m not seeing that on mine. Is is a plugin I need to add, or a config I need to switch on? If I knew what that was called I might be able to find in in the configs. Thanks.

On the screen, select menu/ Receiver Range/ and select each of the ranges <999 to > 3000
Then on menu/options/map to select colors for the ranges. You can vary the opacity of the fill and border.

I remember not having the receiver range option in the web page menu until i properly set up the receiver location in the windows gui.
The menu of the latest version 2.1.0 now looks different so i cannot recall exactly which setting it takes.
/paul

I have my receiver location set up in Tools - Options - Receiver Location, but I am not seeing receiver range option in the web page menu. I wonder if this will take some time to show up? I’ve refreshed the web page.

If you’re not on the local network, then it’s probably not enabled for you to view range rings. You need to enable that in the VS settings. “Internet users can see receiver range plots”

Thank you! You nailed it. I was looking at the web page using the internet address and didn’t have the Internet Users settings complete. Got it now. Thanks again. :smiley:

http://174.109.182.108/VirtualRadar/desktop.html#

I’m not sure your receiver location is set properly. It’s coming up in London and it looks like it should be near RDU.

Seems like I have it set up correctly, but I noticed the same as you did when I went to the internet address. Is there another setting to set the fixed location that internet users see?
http://i62.tinypic.com/afbhgj.jpg

The other place where location is set. Anything else I can do?

I thought there was, but I don’t see anywhere to set it, so I could be wrong.

Weird. I thought I had to do something to make it auto populate my location, but I can’t figure out where it was or what I did.

I previously mentioned I built this exact antenna. Great results. 6 feet off the ground. I can mount this on a roof top but now thinking…so I have essentially unlimited space to mount this antenna, should I make a full wave version as it’s not that big(ger). I have plenty of RG8X to go up to the peak of 28’. But, it’s winter here and I want to go up there once only.

Better with 1/4 wave or full wave? I’m going to make the full wave antenna anyways while I watch the hockey game…

It’s been a long time since I was working much on any antenna theory… but…

I believe the longer you go with the wires, it changes the pattern to the point that it is a limiting factor. 1/4 waves are very popular in this design, but I think going to half wave or more will give you ‘narrower’ beams of coverage.

That being said, build it and try it!

I actually have two other panel mount SO-239 in my shop (for some reason). Easy enough to cut up 10 wires instead of 5. I wonder, 12 or 14 gauge matter much. I think I even have a spool of 16 solid core (maybe it’s 14 - was supposed to be ground wire - never used it).

Stand by.

I believe the thinner wire will have less bandwidth so would reduce the need for a filter. Thicker the wire, more bandwidth = more off center frequencies picked up. How much would it matter in this case (between 12 and 16 AWG) I have no clue, but like I said, I’m no expert in the antenna field. (I try to stay out of antenna fields after I started getting light headed while they were transmitting)

Thanks for looking into it. I’m just so happy with the receiver range plots I can’t really worry about locking in the location for internet users. I’m going to keep digging into it and if I find something I’ll post it here. I’m using the latest version 2.1.

Questions about the 1/4 wave ground plane. Are all the antenna segments the same length? Does it matter where you bend the ground plane segments 45 degrees? Is the length of the ground plane segments measured from where they attach to the chassis connector or from the start of the 45 degree bend? The attached picture drawn from the “Your First ADSB Antenna” document has me confused. It says the length of B is the same as A, but B appears to be the length after the bend. I’d appreciate if someone could clear that up for me. I’m anxious to build one and compare the results to my “cantenna”.

1 Like

I cut all 5 of mine the same length, and then attached and bent them. I am getting great results so far with it as is.

I made my radials per the diagram.

Marty