Anyone working with the new x86 Raspbian

Well there is a Debian version with Pixel on their website, Raspberry Pi Desktop.

Oh ok didn’t know that.
Anyway Raspbian is ARM with kernel hacks for me :slight_smile:

I knew it, was just joking :slight_smile:

The latest version is here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/

Links for older versions are given in this post:

1 Like

Today I downloaded latest Raspbian x86 image (Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac – Raspberry Pi).

I then wrote it to USB flash using Win32DiskImager on my Windows desktop, then restarted Desktop.

At start, pressed F12 to bring Boot Menu, chose Hard Drive, chose USB mass storage device and pressed Enter key.

At start of Raspbian, chose “Run with Persistance”.

After setting language, keyboard, country, timezone etc, tried to install dump1090-fa using jprochazka’s adsb-receiver project script.

The script tried, but failed to build bladeRF, and then due to abscence of bladeRF failed to install dump1090-fa.

This problem is persisting sunce last over 3 months. I have posted a workaround on github 2 months ago. Will try it tomorrow.

Issue #473: Workaround to build .deb package of dump1090-fa 3.6.3 Without bladeRF, on armhf & amd64

Bravo! Can’t wait for your tomorrow.

1 Like

Sorry, I am away from home, cannot try earlier than tomorrow.

Meanwhile you can try to install without any workaround. If it fails to install dump1090-fa, then try the workaround I have posted at GitHub.

JProchazka’s adsb-receiver script:

Note:
Do not type these commands to avoid typing mistakes. Instead COPY these from here, and PASTE in terminal of Raspbian X86

sudo apt-get install git   

git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git   

cd  adsb-receiver   

./install.sh   

You will be offered

• dump1090-mutability
  • dump1090-fa
  • dump1090-hptoa

Use arrow keys to bring cursor to dump1090-fa, then press Spacebar to select it.

You will be offered many other things. Say NO to all other things.

1 Like

What exactly do you call an USB antenna?

You need a rtl-sdr compatible DVB-T dongle.

Sadly my skills at 71 are too weak to move forward alone. If it were assembler, or FORTRAN, or C, then I would help lead this. Now, just able to follow, encourage, and cheer. And be a tester and do QA and promote success.

1 Like

You can achive your target in a much easier way.

Use J Prochazka’s script, but do not choose dump1090-fa. Instead choose dump1090-mutability.

The mutability version does NOT require bladeRF and will be installed without any problem by JProchazka’s script (please see my last post above).

After installing dump1090-mutability, you will need this simple work around:

Workaround (AFTER installation of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev):

Note:
The first line of code below is very long and it’s right half is not directly visible.

Please scroll right to see it, COPY IT IN FULL, and paste in terminal window of Raspbian X86.

sudo wget -O  /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"    

sudo reboot    

The antenna FA included in the free pi kit. Usb on one end; antenna on the other end. Didn’t load dmp1090-FA, so didn’t determine if the antenna was ‘seen’ by the app. Assuming it will work.

I’m confused you have a RPI running but would rather have it running on the old x86 computer? :slight_smile:

Weird, eh? I need tech projects. Former FA employee before retirement. The pi was cool project. As old PC hack, thinking Raspbian on x86 finally spans the Unix/PC gap for me. Side benefit is that when it works, we may find as many PC hobbyists as FA has found pi hobbyists.Let’s just wait and see.

1 Like

@anon69157259

Did you install dump1090-mutability on Raspbian X86 using JProchazka’s adsb-receiver script? The script install it without any problem.

sudo apt-get install git   

git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git   

cd adsb-receiver  

./install.sh  

Will be first adventure with Github. Looking forward to my tomorrow.

The only interaction/adventure with GitHub is that you will download the script’s package from GitHub by issueing the command git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git.

Once the script’s package is downloaded, everthing is local to your computer. GitHub is no more involved.

Reading github tutorial now and looking for git. And watching Rockets. Thx for the baby steps since I need them. Watching folks do cool stuff is not near as satisfying as doing stuff. Update tomorrow. One thing if you have brain cells left. My pc WiFi dongle did not come up Raspbian so I’m off the net. It is pretty new 2.4/5.0 device and I’m thinking I need a driver. Is that a reasonalbe guess? Is finding/installing a driver on Raspbian doable?

Did you enable / choose WiFi interface? Click on the WiFi / network icon at top right of screen to open settings dialouge. Try both the right click and left click.

Raspbian doesn’t see my WiFi devices. I have two really old ones and one new one. It tells me there are no Wi-Fi devices connected. Thoughts? Is there a list of the WiFi devices supported by this release? My pi with it’s built in WiFi works perfectly, of course.

@obj
@wiedehopf
ANY THOUGHTS?

The workaround I posted at GitHub worked OK at that time.

Issue #473: Workaround to build .deb package of dump1090-fa 3.6.3 Without bladeRF, on armhf & amd64

Today I applied that workaround to Raspbian X86, then tried to build dump1090-fa

FAILED - This is the result:

2018-12-20-105659_681x482_scrot

Full output

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd dump1090
pi@raspberrypi:~/dump1090 $ sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source package dump1090-fa
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source version 3.6.3
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source distribution stable
dpkg-buildpackage: info: source changed by Oliver Jowett <oliver@mutability.co.uk>
dpkg-buildpackage: info: host architecture i386
 dpkg-source --before-build dump1090
 debian/rules clean
dh clean --with=systemd
   dh_testdir
   dh_auto_clean
	make -j1 clean
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
rm -f *.o compat/clock_gettime/*.o compat/clock_nanosleep/*.o dump1090 view1090 faup1090 cprtests crctests convert_benchmark
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
   dh_clean
	rm -f debian/debhelper-build-stamp
	rm -f debian/dump1090.substvars
	rm -f debian/dump1090.*.debhelper
	rm -rf debian/dump1090/
	rm -f debian/dump1090-fa.substvars
	rm -f debian/dump1090-fa.*.debhelper
	rm -rf debian/dump1090-fa/
	rm -rf debian/.debhelper/
	rm -f debian/*.debhelper.log
	rm -f debian/files
	find .  \( \( \
		\( -path .\*/.git -o -path .\*/.svn -o -path .\*/.bzr -o -path .\*/.hg -o -path .\*/CVS \) -prune -o -type f -a \
	        \( -name '#*#' -o -name '.*~' -o -name '*~' -o -name DEADJOE \
		 -o -name '*.orig' -o -name '*.rej' -o -name '*.bak' \
		 -o -name '.*.orig' -o -name .*.rej -o -name '.SUMS' \
		 -o -name TAGS -o \( -path '*/.deps/*' -a -name '*.P' \) \
		\) -exec rm -f {} + \) -o \
		\( -type d -a -name autom4te.cache -prune -exec rm -rf {} + \) \)
	rm -f *-stamp
 debian/rules build
dh build --with=systemd
   dh_testdir
   dh_update_autotools_config
   dh_auto_configure
   debian/rules override_dh_auto_build
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
dh_auto_build -- RTLSDR=yes BLADERF=no DUMP1090_VERSION=3.6.3
	make -j1 RTLSDR=yes BLADERF=no DUMP1090_VERSION=3.6.3
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
cc -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DMODES_DUMP1090_VERSION=\"3.6.3\" -DMODES_DUMP1090_VARIANT=\"dump1090-fa\" -DENABLE_RTLSDR -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/pi/dump1090=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -std=c11 -O2 -g -Wall -Werror -W -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -I/usr/include/ -c dump1090.c -o dump1090.o
cc1: internal compiler error: Bus error
cc: internal compiler error: Bus error (program cc1)
Please submit a full bug report,
with preprocessed source if appropriate.
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-6/README.Bugs> for instructions.
Makefile:41: recipe for target 'dump1090.o' failed
make[2]: *** [dump1090.o] Error 4
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
dh_auto_build: make -j1 RTLSDR=yes BLADERF=no DUMP1090_VERSION=3.6.3 returned exit code 2
debian/rules:23: recipe for target 'override_dh_auto_build' failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/pi/dump1090'
debian/rules:32: recipe for target 'build' failed
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

Asking for some help from good friend on this. Here are the list of some Linux drivers that support my most current WiFi dongle. Do you know if any of these drivers are included in the x86 distribution?