8dBi 978MHz-1090MHz Antenna

Rick, your increase in messages and planes tracked is quite impressive!

Frankly I was doubtful this dual-band antenna would really perform that much better than the original FA 1090 antenna. But your stats certainly show a significant difference.

I agree the results are great, however, we need to compare apples with apples.
How does the old Antenna compare with the new one, in the same location with the same cables?

I agree the results are great, however, we need to compare apples with apples.
How does the old Antenna compare with the new one, in the same location with the same cables?

Yes, everything is the same. Same location, same cables, etc. The only change was to simply swap the FA1090 antenna with the dual band version, the rest of the setup is exactly the same and that includes the dump1090 configuration.

Since you had a plug problem with the dual band antenna, it would be nice to see the old one back for a comparison. I have both antennas plus the dpd one. I will give them a try out when I can get the attic sorted.

It looks pretty certain that you will be the best 7 day median for ac( edit: exceeded with 75 minutes to go) and position reports( edit: exceeded with over 3 hours to go) in your area by the end of the day. Great job.

Since you had a plug problem with the dual band antenna, it would be nice to see the old one back for a comparison.

That would indeed be a good test, but Iā€™m not inclined to get back on the roof, take down the mast, etc. more than I really have to. Perhaps the next time I need to do some maintenance Iā€™ll swap back the old antenna and check the results.

Will there be anymore of these available?

Yes, waiting on a slow boat from China.

Any word on the availability of these, specifically to Canada?

How slow is the boat? :laughing:

Any updates on estimated availability to order on Amazon?

I keep checking as wellā€¦ Looking forward to getting a couple for my receivers when they become available again

Currently still out of stock. When can we expect a new batch to be available?

It was in stock about a month ago. Sold extremely quick :confused:

Some alternate, more expensive, single frequency antennas

DPDs 1090Mhz 9dBi Antenna ($US150) 57"
dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout
I have used this Antenna for 6 months. It works really well. I am not really convinced it is worth the extra money. It is longer so did provide me with extra elevation(I am really low at <100 ft AMSL).

DPDs 978Mhz 8dBi Antenna ($US150)
dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_ ā€¦ #978adsout
This does have a much better SWR <1.5 (it is single frequency antenna though).

For someone in a noisy environment, I would recommended a cavity filter over the better antennas. It has a less loss, around 0.5db but is much larger(and more expensive) but has a much narrower band pass (-3 dB Bandwidth: better than 9 MHz). This should help if, like me, you have lots of noise from Cell towers, TCAS and multiple ground radars in the area.

I think itā€™s time for me to sell or trade my 50" FA antenna and 7ā€™ LMR-400 N to SMA cable. I live too low in a valley for the narrower lobes of the 50" versus the 26", so maybe another person can get some use out of it. If someone else in the KBWI area is interested, send me a PM. (I donā€™t want to deal with packaging and shipping so hopefully thereā€™s someone nearby thatā€™s interested.)

I hope Iā€™m not violating the terms of the community forum, but I donā€™t see this coming up often enough to support a ā€œfor sale or tradeā€ thread.

[quote=ā€œdavid.bakerā€]We are thinking of adding in a batch of 8dBi UAT + ADSB antennas in our next shipment. These are wideband antennas that are tuned for both UAT and ADSB. They are about 50 inch long, which is about double the size of the FlightAware ADSB antenna.

These will be approximately $60 on Amazon, about $15 more than the FlightAware ADSB Antenna.

So is bigger really better? Put in your vote.
[/quote]

Is the new antenna available? thank you.

Just to check about the productionā€¦ Do we have any estimate on when a new batch will be available ? over ebay for shipping to Canadaā€¦ ?

Many thanks for good product !
Iā€™m missing a good antenna :wink:

The dual 978/1090 antenna is not currently being manufactured by FlightAware. We continue to sell the 1090 MHz antenna via our usual outlets on Amazon and eBay. If/when we reintroduce a dual band antenna it will likely be a different model to address manufacturing issues with the old design.

More support for dual 978/1090 is on our long-term roadmap for the future in anticipation of 2020 in the USA, however I do not have anything specific to announce for now.

1 Like

Ok, thatā€™s quite great news ā€¦ as itā€™s on the planning. The light aviation will mostly go all at same time, like in 2018-2019. So the 978 traffic will increased quite a lot.

For all pilot I spoke with and over airport, they all said, itā€™s good for weather, but the Out module will be install when it will be mandated.

Thanks again and keep us posted of any developpment. Hope to be not that much long term. hehe

If you need a professional built 978Mhz antenna then DPD make one
dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_ ā€¦ #978adsout
It is not cheap at $US150.

UAT978 was supposed to be cheaper than 1090 and also provide weather and other airport information without a satellite subscription.
It is only useful within the U.S., so anyone flying internationally will need 1090.

They just started with $500 rebates for upgrades. The proof seems to require a lot of work on the aircraft owners part.

I think that many will opt for 1090 as it will allow the most flexibility.

I would love to buy an affordable 978-1090 MHz antenna so I donā€™t have to have different types of antennas and be able to streamline of setting up more receiver stations that have dual receivers. ( I did mention this in a recent FlightAware survey that was conducted) I wish FlightAware would sell some more of the 8dBi 978MHz-1090MHz Antenna.

Iā€™m been using a Antennacraft ST2 for my 978MHz (UAT) receiver and the Flightaware 1090MHz antenna for the 1090 MHz receiver connected to my Raspberry Pi 3 running adsbreceiver.net. I would love to replace the Antennacraft ST2 with a dedicated antenna that can do both 978MHz and 1090MHz in case I ever need to move/change antennas around.

I see a few aircraft flying around using UAT, but most are on 1090MHz ADS-B or havenā€™t upgraded yet.

After I have been recommended my father-in-law to do 1090MHz ADS-B Out transponder instead of using UAT Out after seeing majority of aircraft using 1090 over 978 plus 978 MHz is not used outside of the US. My father-in-law finally replaced his aircraftā€™s aging Mode-A/C transponder to the new Stratus ESG with new antennas on his 1957 Cessna 172. appareo.com/stratus-adsb-out/

He does have a dual ADS-B In and UAT In receiver on his plane