Your longest nonstop flight

While I’m in no way disputing that he is indeed a U2 pilot, pictures of that coin can be found all over google images.
For $49 you can even buy the coin to “prove” your authenticity. I’m actually shocked, disappointed and more than a little scared that a site like that is legally allowed to exist.

maxarmory.com/index.php?p=pr … 6&parent=0

I bought 15 of them this spring in Korea for $2/each. They’re probably $10/each on ebay.

In all honesty, you could ask 10 U-2 drivers and end up seeing 10 completely different versions. Most of the old-heads probably have the version I carry. If you go to Oshkosh, or have been to Oshkosh, you likely will see the old-heads I am referring to :smiley: They usually pay for everything with $2 bills.

I’m game.

KLAX-YSSY, ANZ1 (B744), 14 hours 31 minutes flight time, followed by

KLAX-NZAA, UAL841 (B744). 10 hours 45 minutes flight time. I’m only counting the longest portion of this trip, as the full trip was KOMA-KDEN-KLAX-NZAA-YMML. The whole trip was 17 hours, B752/DC-10-30/B744.

BL.

KCOF TO FHAW…THEN FHAW TO JOBERG…C-141B

Who serves DXB with passenger 747s?? I know for a fact that EK has none.

I’ve done MSP-AMS on NW 744

LAX-AUK QA A333

EWR-BOM CO 772

ATL-SMT on DL 763E

IAH-AMS on CO 764

LHR-BOM on AI 744

FRA-BLR on A343

DFW-FRA on AA 772

I am a big fan of continental flight 1. I was on the inaugural #1 iah-hnl back when it was a 747 continuing to nrt rather than gum.

As far as the next day going to Tokyo, Continental Micronesia has flights from Guam nonstop to Tokyo.

Dallas to Tokyo on an AA 772.

Yep, I knew I could get a flight to Narita from Guam, and it would of been roughly 3 hours. That would have been wonderful. It was so tiring for me to travel all those miles in a few days, but there was a reason, well, kinda…I was with my sister-in-law who has a fear of flying, and she was freaking out about flying home by herself. Got herself all worked up into a frenzy, so I promised to fly back with her. Now, I am not the most relaxed person when it comes to flying, but she’s a wreck. I swear though, I would never do that again. The bright side, though, to all of those miles, is I really started to understand that flying was safe. I had to be strong for someone else, which in turn made me stronger. I want to go back to Guam…

international: JFK to FRA on a Lufthansa 747 was about 6.5 or 7 hours
within the US: Either EWR-SEA on a Cotinental 757 I think it was or SFO-JFK on a United 767 both of those were about 4.5 hours, however the SFO-JFK one seemed longer because it was a redeye, while at least EWR-SEA was during daylight hours.

Military or Civilian ?

Civilian prolly the one I took for Boeing here recently KPAE-KPAE 12 hours.

Military, Many a 15-16 hour missions.

Done a few coast to coast in the G200, nothing more then 5.5. Still waiting for that Europe trip!

As best as I can piece this memory together … on a National 727-135 when I was about nine years old … amazing itinerary. I believe they ran this itinerary as Flight 474 or maybe it was Flight 492, up until they got sucked into PanAm in 1979/1980.

SFO > LAS > IAH > MSY > MOB > PNS > PFN > TLH.
I think it took around 8 hours. Not the longest single segment flight I’ve ever taken, but it felt like it. I remember also I was in a middle seat with a crappy view. In later years I flew into most of those airports at one time or another and realized the great views I missed on that transcontinental route from the 70s.

My one longest segment without question was SAA from ATL to JNB on a 744 in 1999.
Going eastbound (or is it southeastbound) it was right at 17 hours. On the return the flight made a technical stop in FLL and the total time was about 19 hours.

A very unpleasant memory of a long flight was on AF 050 CDG > ORD summer 2008.
I was in the back row of a 340, no recline, middle seat middle section … surrounding by hyperactive 9-10-11 year old French boys on their trip to the US. By the time we flew over Greenland I was about ready to slap somebody. “Monsieur, I can’t sleeeeep.”
9hr 38min of pure living hell.

MIA to LHR, a bit over 8 hours, did a round trip.

LAX-SYD, 14 and a half hours.

The trip out was Sydney to Austin TX, over 30 hours from take-off to touch down in Texas via LAX and DEN (obviously not non-stop). I had about 3 hours’ sleep on that flight and never caught up during the following week in Austin.

As a result I slept for 10 hours after departure from LAX on the way home: in economy, at the rear of the cabin, regardless of the fact my knees were jammed into the food tray as per usual (I’m 6’4").

Ergo, most enjoyable long-haul ever.

My apology if this “airline” doesn’t qualify for this thread.

I was an enlisted Air Force passenger on a M.A.T.S. (Military Air Transport Service) C-124 on a 12-hour, or more, flight from Honolulu to Sacramento in 1955. Uncle Sam also provided me with several long flights twixt Honolulu and Tokyo aboard MATS C-121s and/or C-97s. There were also some shorter, very interesting, “frights” in the mid-1950s aboard C-46, C-47, C-54, and C-119. No “frills,” no cost, no baggage fees on any of these trips.

My thanks to all who participate in FlightAware.

Harveymc
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas

I’ve always considered MATS and its successors to be an airline. It has all of the characteristics of an airline - flights, passenger terminals, etc.

ATL - OGG date was 2002

Up in the pointy end of the airplane I’ve done 6:05-6:15 quite a few times, mostly EGSS-OEJN with a couple of KBOS-EGSS with a good tailwind (60+) or Bangor-VNY with very little headwind (like 1 gusting to 2).
In the back probably Frankfurt-LAX more times than I can remember, usually it’s the second of three fun filled flights that day.

John in Saudi

KATL TO PHNL …Also KJFK TO Barcelona. Both flights were for cruise vacations.

New York to Johannesburg on a South African Airways B747. Great flight - 14hours 40 minutes