Wrong aircraft icons in 3.5.0?

Just noticed it today after upgrading a while back - A330s and C130s use the four-engine 747/A340/A380 icon; the A330 should use the two-engine widebody icon and the C130 had its own. There are some other mismatches that I haven’t been able to pin down -

I tried clearing local cache data, different browsers, updating the Pi - all to no effect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Screenshots? (Include the aircraft detail pane)

Hope this works - here’s a DH8 using the Beech icon.
http://imgur.com/a/17rjA

And here’s a C130 using the 747 icon:
http://imgur.com/a/P7KFu

That is the generic twin-turboprop (L2T) icon where no closer match is available.

And here’s a C130 using the 747 icon:

That is the generic L4T icon where no closer match is available.

dump1090 has a limited number of icons to pick from; can you suggest better mappings for these aircraft types?
See markers.js

Don’t have a screenshot but FedEx DC10s show up as small plane icons and the planes are quite large.

The odd thing is they worked in the previous version. I scanned through markers.js, and now on my second perusal, since I know zero about javascript, I found that the Beech and C130 are commented out?

// 'BE20': _b200,
    // 'C130': _c130,

And the DH8 series are indeed set to twin_small:
‘DH8A’: ‘twin_small’,
‘DH8B’: ‘twin_small’,
‘DH8C’: ‘twin_small’,
‘DH8D’: ‘twin_small’,

PS: I have also seen the DC10/MD11 appear as generic small jet.

‘BSCA’: ‘heavy_4e’, // hah!

Apparently one of the devs thought a BSCA is funny lol

Obj did say that they only had a limited amount of icons. Maybe they chose to use a generic icon in place for space reasons? Does anyone know where the actual aircraft icons are located in the file system. I can’t seem to find them with a quick look.

Or are those large amount of numbers in each category in markers.js actually drawing the icons out?

There for completeness (IIRC I was filling in all the 747 variants), not because you’re likely to see one :wink:
It’s a bit like the “transatmospheric” ADS-B category identifier…

Obj did say that they only had a limited amount of icons. Maybe they chose to use a generic icon in place for space reasons? Does anyone know where the actual aircraft icons are located in the file system. I can’t seem to find them with a quick look.

Or are those large amount of numbers in each category in markers.js actually drawing the icons out?

Yes, those are svg outlines which define the icon shapes.

The database is pretty straightforward to update and create your own. I maintain a DB down this part of the world (South Pacific) with all the local and regular international visitors in it.

Pretty much all you need is the ICAO code and the aircraft type for the DB to show up the correct icon (or closest approximation), I have also added other fields to mine which you can modify the code to read as well (Owner, Aircraft type description etc).

There is a Python script that converts a correctly formatted CSV file to the JSON DB, default CSV format looks like this (the desc field is not used in the vanilla FA code though):

icao24,r,t,desc
3A21ED,F-OIPN,AT76,ATR-GIE ATR 72-212A
3A24C5,F-OJGF,A343,Airbus A340-313
3A2641,F-OJSB,A320,Airbus A320-232
3A2644,F-OJSE,A320,Airbus A320-202
3A266D,F-OJTN,A343,Airbus A340-313
3A2DD5,F-OLOV,A343,Airbus A340-313
3A344F,F-ONCP,C25C,Cessna 525C

Here is a link to the Python Script:
http://iaucklan63.net/csv-to-json.py

I run this on my desktop and copy the JSON DB over to my PI, syntax is:

python csv-to-json.py vrs.csv db

Where vrs.csv is the CSV file as formatted above and DB is the output directory. You should have an empty directory for the output. You should also delete all the json files out of the DB directory on the Pi before copying in the new one. To test you will need to clear the cache on your browser first or start a new private session.

Also if you are really brave I have compiled a whole pile of extra icons for many aircraft types, it is sort of ported to 3.5.0 with some caveats, thread on that here (might want to jump to end as most of the screenshots are now dead thanks to DropBox changing their rules):

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/some-custom-svg-plane-icons-t37783.html

If you have a good DB my markers.js is pretty much a drop in and replace.

Thanks Pete. Between yours and the original I’ll play around to see if I can “mix and match” a bit.

I have a small airplane icon for SKW3498 A1412F
Aircraft type: PA-18
19,200 ft 377kts.
A little fast for a piper (super cub?)

Unable to get screen shot.
I believe that I have seen this before in 3.5.0.
Today this was an older PiAware.

This is a text cut and paste of the info pop up window
“Show All Tracks
Hide All Tracks
FlightAware.com SKW3498 A1412F
N180FF
Country of registration:
United States
Aircraft Type:
PA18
Source:
ADS-B
Squawk:
Speed:
415 kt
Altitude:
▼ 28,875 ft
Distance:
6.1 NM
Heading:
179° (South)
Position:
38.512°, -122.536°
Vertical Rate:
-2240 ft/min
now
RSSI:
-5.2 dBFS
AirFrames.org
See Aircraft Photos”

/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/db/A14.json
“12C”:{“t”:“C180”},
“12E”:{“desc”:“L3J”},
“12F”:{“t”:“PA18”}, <-----
“130”:{“desc”:“L1P”},

PA-18 is correct per the FAA: registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry … rtxt=180FF

Be aware that there are a non-zero number of aircraft with misprogrammed transponders.
The aircraft in this case was probably N184SY (A1512F)

OBJ, Thank you for answering so fast and pointing out the root cause.

How about this DC10:

imgur.com/013SSNK

There is no triple-jet icon, so you get the generic one.