WiFi congestion/collisions?

Just noticed that, auto is dynamic. Most everybody is on channel 1 now. I enabled auto again, and it jumped to channel 10.

I added two repeaters recently. The ‘jury’ is still out on their performance.

My WAPs are not repeaters. They are stand alone waps connected to my Network over MOCA(media over Coax) as I haven’t re-wired the house for Cat 5/6/7.
I have a Cisco 2504 WLC (with 6 WAPs) but have issues getting it to boot. Flash card is messed up and they are hard to fix.
This will allow me configure all of them from one location.

We have bigger WLC at work, 5520s that support 1000+ WAPS each. We need Prime to manage the WLCs from a single location.

My WiFi routers are normal ones.
The slave ones are configured with the DHCP server turned off and I have a hard wire CAT5E connected from the master router to one of their normal LAN ports (not the WAN, they all have auto reconfiguration for cross-over).

1 Like

I’ve heard rumours of this, but never read anything official eg. manufacturers claims. Have you found anything convincing?

It might be only for certain manufacturers chipsets…
http://www.wifi-insider.com/wlan/psd.htm

Debugging wifi issues is difficult without measuring, especially in congested areas. Repeater will need to “follow” the router when the router switches channels. Not sure if the repeaters can invoke a channel switch which would mean that the chosen channel will always be the best one for the base station.

All repeaters have to be on the same channel as the router, which is why cabled accesspoint (or repeaters with a cabled connection to the router are best because you can pick the best channel for each individual accesspoint. Remember: The interference on one side of the property might be on an entirely different channel than on the other side. That is why you may need different channels in different places.