Why do the planes I track stop as they are descending?

I am a new user to FlightAware, I have been trying to track flights of my customers and it stops tracking them on their descent to landing. What causes this?

Depens on the approach controller handling whether the plane gets tracked to wheels down. My experiences are that centers (part of ATC that handles enroute traffic), the tracking is reliable as clock work.

When I fly into or out of KJAN approach (part of ATC that controlls around the airport) I get tracked wheels up or wheels down. When I go to Birmingham, the approach controller computers somehow stop my tracking and my descent or climbs are not tracked.

It might be a good idea to post a flight or two that you are tracking so we can be a little more specific to your question.

Allen

Right now I am tracking FL# DAL1277 from LGA to TPA. They should be landing any min. Thank you for your help.

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1277

just link to the flight like I did above. Makes things easier. Welcome aboard.

Looks like an arrivial message has been sent when the flight was handed over from the enroute controller to the approach controller. Without looking around, I think I have read in previous posts about a problem like this in Florida, and Tampa in particular.

Very helpful. See discussions.flightaware.com/view … h+tracking for further discussions on why tracks get dropped on climbs and descents.

See discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=2074 for what lancasterperch was referring to.

Allen

Thanks lieberma, I knew it was there but didn’t have the time to go looking.