Why are some flights missing, but shown on other trackers?

Hello,

I just noticed that the flight DLH2070 (just arrived at EDDH) is only shown as a straight line between EDDM and EDDH. To me this would suggest that it didn’t send ADSB signals, but I can’t imagine that to be true for a passenger flight by Lufthansa.
Furthermore other flight tracking sites (Plane Finder, Flightradar24) show the flight’s track as it was flown.

Any ideas why flightaware doesn’t have this data?

Regards,
myce

lmgtfy.com/?q=flightaware+coverage+area+faq

Wow. Rather condescending and not helping at all. Have you seen the coverage between EDDM and EDDH?
Let me spell it out for you: Germany is quite well covered. So one would expect at least some reception during the flights of DLH2070. But there is none. Every point in the track is marked as estimated. And not only for today. All entries in the activity log show no reception but only an estimated track.

How does FlightAware handle flights around the world? What is FlightAware’s service area? (Back to top)
FlightAware’s primary service area includes airspace operated by the United States (including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto RIco, and Guam), Canada, the Caribbean, Australia, the United Kingdom, and France. Flights in the primary service area support real time maps, departure and arrival information, delays, and more.

FlightAware’s secondary service covers scheduled major airline operations at any airport in the world. Flights in the secondary service area support departure and arrival information. Secondary coverage areas may have real-time positions for ADS-B equipped aircraft operating in FlightAware’s ADS-B coverage area. Additionally, some airlines send FlightAware satellite position reports from aircraft worldwide that augments other position data and provides transoceanic coverage as well.

For flights arriving in a service area from outside of a service area, FlightAware will be able to track the flight when it nears a service area. For flights departing a service area, FlightAware will be able to track the flight until it leaves the coverage area. Flights may not be tracked beyond that point unless they enter another service area.

Not all worldwide data sources (e.g., European data, datalink ARINC/SITA ACARS, etc) are freely available on FlightAware.com due to government regulations or commercial arrangements. You can contact us if you have a commercial need for worldwide data.

Most of your answer sadly isn’t really specific or relevant to my question. As I already wrote, the ADS-B coverage over Germany is quite good. There are a lot of people sharing this data with FlightAware. I am one of them. Still some flights (whose ADS-B signals were received and shared) do not show on the website with their real track, but a straight line between departure and arrival airport. DLH2070 was one example for such a flight. Another one is AUA204. As you can see here(http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AUA204/history/20140904/1755Z/EDDL/LOWG), it is plotted just as a straight line. But the plane is equipped with ADS-B, is transmitting, was received and shared.I am quite sure about the last two points, as I, myself, did that. Just minutes ago.

I have a bit of a problem with sharing the received data with FlightAware if this data is not available to other users. I just would like an explanation why the data that is uploaded to FlightAware is ignored.

But maybe this is not the the right place for my question as you seem only to respond with general statements. Maybe I should try to file a bug report with FlightAware.

Are you saying that the data that is freely given to FlightAware by the sharers is only available to them if they pay for it? Interesting!

Also, entries for some very major flights are completely missing.

I was on board (I believe :slight_smile:) SWR39 flown by HB-JMI from KSFO to LSZH on Sep.23 (overnight to Sep.24)
but that flight and several others are randomly missing:
flightaware.com/live/flight/HBJMI/history
flightaware.com/live/flight/SWR39/history
These are flights that both begin and end within FlightAware coverage areas, and similar flights show up with no issues.

It should work perfectly. Notably it did recently: flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH … /LHBP/EDDM

No doubt it worked when you obtained that URL! Alas, the flight you linked is now demonstrably gone from flightaware. Screenshot: Google Workspace Updates: New community features for Google Chat and an update on Currents / plus.google.com/photos/11505931 … oNKc4sD4KA

I’m sorry if I’m confusing issues by talking about a different flight from the original poster, but I think we’re trying to highlight a general Data Missing problem rather than the tracking of a specific flight.

This planefinder link shows a flight that should show up as 2014-09-23 (note 23, not 24) on flightaware.com/live/flight/SWR39/history. It doesn’t - the previous and subsequent days’ LX39s do show up, but not the one that departed SFO on the 23rd PDT.

flightradar24 also has it.