-What's the longest regular open water route?

I’m a relative newby here, but generally observe that intercontinental flights want to select great circle routes but also tend to stay close to land as much as possible, I’m guessing as an emergency contingency. That leaves me wondering what the longest normal routes over open water are. I would guess between mid-latitiude points on the pacific rim, but does any one know?

Open water or away from airports?

YSSY-FAJB and YSSY-SCEL lack diversion options for a significant portion of the great circle route.

FAJB? Should that be FAGM (Johannesburg Rand)? I can’t find FAJB.

By the way, when I clicked on a scheduled flight (e.g. QFA63 for 1 Aug and EGF3259 for 31 Jul) I get this message:

Temporarily Unavailable
Historical flight data is temporarily unavailable. Please try back in a few moments.

Are future flights now considered historical flights? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses. I guess open water is the question. I noticed a recent Houston to Canary Islands flight veered toward Bermuda. So I guess you would track close to diversion points as much as possible.

I would seriously doubt any airline flies a route to stay close to land unless the aircraft has a certification limitation about the number of hours flight time to land in the event of an engine out situation.

It is generally accepted that the longest stretch in the world without a diversion airport is the leg from the west coast of the United States to Hawaii.

Vancouver/Hawaii is a slightly longer route than the West Coast/Hawaii.

Another long overwater route without a diversion airport is Santiago/Easter Island