What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Well I have managed to get get a adsb receiver page set up with my correct details, a plain dump 1090 screen showing my tracked aircraft in that receiver set up and have it loading data to FA but that’s it, no map on the dump 1090 page but I do have range rings and heywhatsthat rings. I have copied the public.html folder complete onto the sd card and changed the config js file as suggested. What is not working??

Jeff

Hi all,

getting there, got a map now. :slight_smile:

Jeff

Right nearly there.
1: The ADSB receiver admin portion of their portal. In the flightaware login box, I have put my flightaware user name, in the Flightaware ADS-B site, I have put my site name (JLB56). In the ADSB Receiver portal though, when I click on Flightaware stats link in the system information tab, it comes up as the flightaware stats page but no such user. What’s not right with what I have done??

2: With the ADSB portal 1090 live dump, I have a map, I have my haywhatsthat distance lines, I have range rings around my site. All such rings are black though. The range rings from my site though don’t have distance marked somewhere on them. I have copied some text files from lignumaqua’s 1090 public html folder, into the ADSB 's 1090 public html folder that I think should give me these missing things ie the option box for choosing mapping things, but this option box has not appeared in the map. I looked at the config js file but couldn’t see anything jumping out that might need changing, what have I missed to get that option box showing and perhaps some colour into the range rings. Suggestions??

Jeff

@jlb56

Hi Jeff!

(1) FA Link Setup:
-First go to your stats page directly by clicking “My ADS-B” on top of Flightaware forum page.
-Note down the details as shown below, and enter these two items in admin page of portal.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8307/29147613546_1a47ed854a_o.png

(2) Map / lignumaqua’s enhancements:
With recent switch from Google Maps to OpenStreet Maps, lignumaqua’s enhancements will no more work, unless lignumaqua modifies his files/code to suite new map system of dump1090-mutability / dump1090-fa.

Many thanks, when you look at those 2 bits of data, it is quite obvious, working. Thanks about the maps. Now to try and get the same result for Ver 3. I note your post above and some of the code. Will try and battle through that. …lol. Slowly working my around this linux stuff.

From what I read, a FA image version of 3 wont work with script but that 3.04 version you downloaded, in the annonoucing PIAware 3 thread, piaware.flightcdn.com/piaware-sd … .4.img.zip, is a starting point?? :slight_smile:

Jeff

Hi all,

Now that I have things up and running, a question about the graphs on the ADS-B portal, ADS-B signal level specifically. (I would post an image, but none of my pictures are off line so I can’t post an image with a link, unless there is some other way of uploading images) what do all the figures mean and what is the best level you should try for. Is using this graph one way of judging how your setup is going in relation to signal strength, adjusting gain levels etc?

Jeff

An update. Put the unit into -10db (agc) mode. Signal noise level hourly went from an hourly average of -17 to - 7. This is good ?? Running here the PI3 with USB Pro stick, FA 1090 filter, an inline sat masthead amp and power input, 7db small whip antenna. Now I am not sure that the inline Sat masthead amp is doing anything but it is currently raining here and I have a DPD ADS-B Outdoor antenna on its way from the states and when that is installed I will make some more tests regarding removing that in line sat amp. The big difference noted is the drop in noise level when I put it into the -10 state and put back in the FA 1090 filter.

Jeff

Apparently the noise level dropping to -7 is not good (from a different thread). Explains why my stats are down this morning. I will remove the 1090 filter first and see the difference.

Jeff

[quote=“sesom”]

schade wollte es privat benutzen…

pity i wanted to use private on my pi3 so i must goo to my virtualradar on mein pi3

Well heres some info about my current set up. FA pro stick, working of a Raspberry PI3, with a masthead amplifier (pretty well standard sat amp with a broad freq range which includes 1090,hz, going into a DPD outside ADS-B antenna. I have set my FA Pro to 5db, with a FA 1090 filter.

Prior to dropping it down to 5db, I had it set at about 38db. My report received figures per FA daily were generally mid 70,000’s to mid 85,000’s. Since dropping it down to 5db, my daily reports received have skyrocketed to mid 150,000’s. The most notable visual difference, is prior to the 5db drop, I was tracking major flights etc and a few light planes near by. Since the drop, I am now tracking light traffic up to 300km distance. My maximum ADS-B range to date in 450km. I was very surprised at the difference between the higher FA Pro gain and 5db. Obviously the masthead amp is helping and my noise figures sit at about -40db.

I stumbled on the lower gain benefits with the FA Pro in trying different levels and started to notice I was tracking light aircraft at further distances and my noise level was dropping. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same antenna, FA 1.0 Dongle, LMR400 and a cavity filter. I had no amp and still had to cut it back to 38db with the FA Dongle. Try the gain optimisation scripts. They may help narrow down the best setting.

You even get better stats than a neighbouring radarcape. That is impressive.

I am not into Country, but enjoy the next music festival.
(Displaced Aussie)

Jon

i am getting some pretty impressive long distance catches, over 100 400km+ in past 24 hours including this one 432km away!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50785283/MaxRange.png

I have some more tweaks planned, and what point is this as good as it will get and I should just let it be?

I can get 430Km with a (very good) setup less than 100 foot AMSL a few times a day. You are in a quieter(Electrically) neighbourhood so may get a bit further. You should do better if you are higher, AMSL wise. Also the big Qantas and Air NZ A380s/B747-8s seem to pump out a lot of power through their transponders.

Check out www.heywhatsthat.com to see what your likely range is.
You can set you location then look at up in the air ranges.

Might still do my cable tweaks then, I have quite a long cable with SMB ends I used for my old antenna, my new Bulgarian special has N-type. The end came off the cable on the weekend when I was cleaning up the install as it was poorly crimped I manually spliced it onto the N-Type converter tail I am using as a temporary measure. Going to replace the whole cable with a better quality one with correct connectors and move the USB stick closer to the antenna to allow for shorter run.

Yes have done the HeyWhatsThat, the red dotted line on my map is the result a 12000m (with 0.25 refraction as suggested here), so that is my theoretical range, I do see planes beyond that though. Atmospherics might be better here given most of that is open water?

1 Like

Here’s my latest range map from my homemade yagi antenna. The rings are spaced at 100km intervals.

Pretty happy with the spike at over 9ookms.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gf89g9npnm31bn/FA_rangepic.jpg?dl=0

1 Like

The spikes are, for me, the coolest part of the hobby. Mother Nature provides us some ducting and inversion layers from time to time over water that allow extreme distance reporting.

1 Like

Wow! That is half the way over here! If I had mine doing that ours would almost meet in the middle :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Another WOW! I was hardly receiving any targets in the 50-100 mile range. Then I removed the FA filter and now receiving hundreds in that range, plus a few in the 150+ range. FA antenna is about 20 feet above ground level, not many obstructions.

My predicted and actual plots are pretty well matched. I’m happy with this.

1 Like

Moved my antenna to the peak of my roof and lost about 2.5dB of cable and adapter losses. Getting about 270nm (500km) daily now using the FA Prostick, filter, and co-linear antenna. Plan to experiment with filter removal in the near future. Plot is from about 4 days. The big spike up toward Nebraska is almost 550nm (1000km) away.

Still trying to beat out a neighbor who is getting another 5% or so on top of my messages. I’m convinced he must be on a tower.