What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Yes, I understand that, no problem! :smiley:

I completely agree with you that the current implementation has its limits. I see the same, particularly, as I mentioned when the wind shifts and traffic patterns change. You end up with a sea of the same color.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s any way to avoid this completely. Iā€™m going to try running it against the log of the data to see if that helps. objā€™s suggestion is a good one for signal strength, but it doesnā€™t show you traffic lanes, which is what the original heatmap was supposed to do.

Few tweaks to the amended map pages:

1. Fixed bug that caused elevation labels to display under the heatmap layer. Labels zIndex are now tied to the markers.

2. Changed default layering of aircraft markers. Higher altitude markers now overlay lower altitude markers. (Google default is further South markers overlay those further North)

3. Amended Range Poly code to only use new (less than 5 seconds old) data to try and avoid bogus elevations.

*Note 1: Iā€™ve run like this for a number of days now and not seen any bogus results. YMMV! :slight_smile: *

Note 2: With these changes the range polygons will take a lot longer to build up, particularly in the USA where ADS-B / non MLAT data is a small percentage of the total.

Note 3: Iā€™ve left in the UseMlatDataForRange option to use MLAT data in range polygons in config.js, but Iā€™ve changed the default to false. I strongly recommend not using MLAT data for elevation range plots.

1. Added option to toggle on/off a fill for the ranges

http://gsak.net/stats/screenshots/2016-02-14_13-33-10.png http://gsak.net/stats/screenshots/2016-02-14_13-33-42.png

All changes in github.com/lignumaqua/dump1090/ ā€¦ ublic_html

Files amended this rev:
script.js
gmap.html
maplabel.js
planeObject.js

For those running Firefox, a simple refresh will not get the updated files to load.
enter

about:config

in the URL Address. Then search for the key

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency

and set it to 1. Then a simple refresh will work

0 ā€“ Check for a new version of a page once per session (a session starts when the first application window opens and ends when the last application window closes).
    1 - Check for a new version every time a page is loaded. 
    2 ā€“ Never check for a new version ā€“ always load the page from cache. 
    3- Check for a new version when the page is out of date. (Default)

Does a hard refresh, Ctrl-F5, work in Firefox? It seems to work in other browsers.

Noā€¦ Well sometimes, but more often than not, No.

Maybe related, I found that the internal webserver of dump1090 does not really work well with larger files (anything over 42KB seems to be troublesome in my case).
The connections get dropped before the whole contents of a file has been sent over. I had to change to using an external webserver to get it working.

Yeah, the internal webserver is pretty terrible, donā€™t use it for anything real.

(The problem with large files is probably that the whole file is sent as a single write() and short writes are not handled)

request for the addons.
toggle altitude markers off and on??
Or maybe explain where to edit out?

Yes, Iā€™ll add that toggle.

By the way, it would be simple to make any other data available in the label. I chose altitude because it was the major dynamic variable that isnā€™t visible. Position is what the map is for, and speed can be seen by the movement of the icon. Altitude is shown very roughly by color, but I wanted a better figure for aircraft in landing and take off patterns. Everything else, such as flight number etc., is pretty much static data.

Would it be useful to allow any other variables to be shown in the label? Which?

That would be great. My choice would be the flight # .

My request would be for custom maps (in a standalone file so it can be easily re-added after updates) and custom colors for planes and range rings, also in a standalone file. I made one at SnazzyMaps and added it to my Dump1090 setup, but itā€™s a little bit of a pain to keep re-adding it after updates:

http://puu.sh/ndO6r/c02b61a45c.png

Thanks again for all of your hard work and responsiveness to requests!

That already all exists! :slight_smile: custom map types, range colors, and plane colors are all defined in the config.js file. You should never update that file, just add any new entries.

[quote=ā€œlignumaquaā€]

I konw that one can add additional maps (tile-based) to config.js, but it can also be used for custom CSS for Google Maps (like the Dark Map)?

A total Noob here!

I have built a PiAware and have it up and running sweetly. Yesterday I managed to log in to the device using PUTTY and add a feed for FR24 - quite an accomplishment for me!

Now, despite knowing nothing about Linux and jsons, I would like to try and get max range rings onto my screen. First question - will I be able to do this with the stock PiAware installation, or do I have to install the Mutability version?

Secondly, how does one copy a file (the heywhatsthat.json) from my pc to the Raspberry Pi - can Putty do this?

Thanks in advance.

G

Hi Gerry,
Yes you need dump1090-mutability for this. Your best bet is to start fresh and use the scripts here:

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-feeder-receiver-setup-scripts-t36532.html

You can start with a clean and fresh Raspbian Jessie installation or you can use the image that is provided. Both options are easy and once up and running, you can install FR24 client just like you did before (use your existing share code).
During installation of dump1090-mutability, you have the option to specify the heywhatsthat ID and the json file will be downloaded automatically.

If you run into any difficulties, just shout. Someone here will help you.

Hi mgunter, many thanks for that. Iā€™ll work away on installing dump1090-mutability and get back when (not if!) I hit a problem.

Gerry

As an alternative you could start feeding to PlanePlotter by assigning port 3005 and IP of your Piaware device to it. Having had that done you would take the advantage of PPā€™s range rings which look like in my attached print screen.

http://s28.postimg.org/5d9x665ml/pp7.jpg

Yes but the question was about the expected (theoretical) range that is derived from heywhatsthat.com. That is only available in the dump1090-mutability map.

Ok, I must have missed that, thanks for explanation.

Thanks for the explanation!

Billy Joel is my favourite country singer. Billy Joel tour 2016 is gonna be awesome!