Web Site Fonts

For some reason I am seeing some ugly fonts in the Live Flight Tracker section of the web site. They are thick and take up too much room, less is more these days! See them at http://www.hfaero.com/?page_id=1167.

Yes, I see the same as well. Also the airline name+flight number when tracking a specific flight are in this same obnoxious font.

Can you post the information from flightaware.com/fix?

I’ve heard Chrome 35 and 36 on Windows had some text problems since they changed the font renderer, but it’s supposed to be fixed in 37.

Here is some info from the “fix” link. I actually started seeing the font issue with the Chrome 37 release:

Your browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.103 Safari/537.36
You are not using a mobile device
You are NOT using HTTPS
You do not appear to be behind a proxy server
You are currently logged in.
You can accept cookies from FlightAware
You have successfully logged in to FlightAware with this machine and browser at least one time in the past.
You have never chosen a language (locale).
No default locale detected.
Your region is US US/en_US
Your javascript is working fine.

I have encountered this issue on 3 different PC’s (Win7/32, Win 7/64, and Win 8.1/64). The common denominator is the Chrome browser.

Same issue here for me as well using Chrome on a PC (it’s fine on my Mac, however, also using Chrome).

Your browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.103 Safari/537.36
You are NOT using HTTPS
You do not appear to be behind a proxy server
You have successfully logged in to FlightAware with this machine and browser at least one time in the past.

Same issue as well

Session Diagnostics

Your browser is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.120 Safari/537.36
You are using HTTPS
Time (zulu) is Friday, 12-Sep-2014 21:16:41 GMT
JavaScript system clock: Fri Sep 12 2014 16:16:41 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
JavaScript timezone offset: 300 minutes (5 hours)

Font issue is back

Hi. We had detected this problem in our release engineering process and shepherded some changes through that I thought fixed it, but there are still some cases where it’s not working. This is the explanation I got this morning from one of our lead developers: Chrome introduced a bug several months ago that messed up font rendering for the Gill Sans font (which is our logo font and used in a number of places. -k) One of our developers implemented a fix at that point which took care of the immediate problem.

It has continued to be an annoyance because finding the exact font invocation that works in Chrome across platforms and doesn’t break Internet Explorer is difficult. IE will work or not work depending if the font is installed or not, and even apparently whether you view the page over Remote Desktop or not. Chrome on OS X will break depending on how you fix Chrome on Windows.

If it’s started happening in Chrome again it’s possible that they’ve “addressed” the bug in a new release. The last time I checked the filed Chrome bug on their tracker, it had just been tagged “enterprise hotlist” so hopefully they’re finally trying to address it.

Point is we’ve been working on it and I expect to see new attempts (and hopefully the fix!) early next week. -karl

I find the ADSB feeder stats are difficult to read. 6s look like 8s.

Same problem here, thought it was my end but obviously not.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience. The issue was related to https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=408093. We believe that we’ve now worked around it, and our changes will go into production later this afternoon around 4pm central.

Please let us know if you continue to see problems.