Viewing live data on an open network

Hello All,

Apologies if this topic is posted elsewhere in the forums–I searched but couldn’t find something similar.

I’ve recently setup an ADS-B feeder at a small aviation museum that is actually located in the terminal of a regional airport. The museum’s only Internet connection is through a WiFi connection provided by the local FBO. The connection works great, but is open and has no password.

Today, I started the feed and it’s feeding FlightAware perfectly.

The problem is, I can’t set up a monitor to view the live data through a web browser because the network doesn’t allow a computer on the same network to view the Raspberry Pi’s data. I tried pinging the Pi, but it wouldn’t allow this. No doubt this is to keep various WiFi network users from peering on other’s connections.

My question: is there a work-around for this? Could I somehow have the pi display live data directly from its monitor port? I’m guessing not. Is there a way to punch through the router with the router admin’s approval? Or, is there a web interface somewhere that would show only our feed’s map and live data?

Many thanks and again apologies if this is a duplicate.

Best,
Thomas

1 Like

The free guest network has “AP isolation” turned on.

I think you can either talk to the person managing the wifi OR add you own wifi bridge router (probably should ask for permission to add the router).

A wifi bridge router are also known as “travel routers”. It is a device that allow you to connect two wifi networks together. Connect to the wifi of the museum network. Then connect your devices (PiAware + computer + whatever) using the router part. Some travel routers have two wifi chips and others have a wifi+ethernet connection.

Guest networks are usually protected with AP isolation. You could ask your network guy if he will allow PiAware on the login wifi network. This would sidestep the AP isolation problem.

1 Like

Try connecting the RPI to a Tv or monitor using HDMI.
Open a browser and connect to http://127.0.0.1
Setup the browser to start automatically (ie after a reboot).

1 Like

If you want a local HDMI output then this will work.

Install Chrome and put it in kiosk mode to connect to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).

The only requirement is the monitor needs to be physically close to the raspberry pi (must connect to the HDMI port).

1 Like

As far as I know, Piaware SD card image is headless, i.e. no GUI. If Browser and HDMI monitor is needed, then it has to be a Raspbian Desktop image (NOT the Raspbian Lite which is also headless, without GUI).

The piaware+dump1090-fa should be installed on it by package install.

1 Like

Good info. I’ll make an appointment to talk with the network manager. I think a travel router might be a good option if they can’t give PiAware a login. Thanks!

This might actually be the most direct solution. I think both the Pi and the monitor they wish to use will be physically close together.

I’m using the Pi B+ so had to manually install the packages. To make the OS download happen a little more quickly, I opted for Stretch Lite. I’ll see if I can install Chrome on Stretch Lite and then put the Pi in Kiosk mode.

Thomas

Okay–I might just install Raspbian and build out the PiAware package around this so I can take advantage of using a local monitor and kiosk mode.

Thanks to everyone for helping me here. I’ve got some direction now!

Cheers,
Thomas