Valujet = ancient history

Is it really necessary that Airtran’s [TRS] flights carry “previously Valujet ‘Critter’” after their airline name? (See flightaware.com/live/fleet/TRS) I mean, the merger was almost 10 years ago, and as an employee, I can tell you there’s very little left of the original airline, physically or philosophically. Plus, it’s not really accurate… today’s Airtran Airways was created via a merger, not a simple name change. So not only is the VJ reference outdated, it’s not really accurate…we’ve got plenty of former “original Airtran” employees here, who were never associated with VJ.

So I’d petition the FA management to delete the ancient Valujet reference.

Note: I don’t speak for Airtran in any official capacity. Anything I post is solely a reflection of my own personal opinion. So please don’t fire me, Airtran.

Yes, it is necessary. I like seeing “Critter” up there.

It seems like you want to eliminate all traces of ValueJet. By the way, it was ValueJet and not Airtran who was the survivor in the merger. The former took the name of the latter to overcome the adverse publicity to an accident in the Everglades.

Not sure I follow your logic there. While you may like seeing the Critter name, it’s not a ‘necessary’ component of tracking Airtran’s flights today.

It seems like you want to eliminate all traces of ValueJet.

Actually, the people of the combined company have already done that.

Perhaps what’s more germane to FlightAware is the fact that Airtran Airways’ FAA air carrier certificate was a new certificate and not Valujet’s ‘recycled’ certificate.

By the way, it was ValueJet and not Airtran who was the survivor in the merger. The former took the name of the latter to overcome the adverse publicity to an accident in the Everglades.

That is true, and in the following years, the management of the combined company made great strides in changing attitudes towards safety. Today’s Airtran’s employees - and indeed airline employees worldwide - learned an important lesson after Valujet 592. The culture here is vastly different from the attitude that existed 10 years ago. The only time I hear mention of the Valujet name these days is from fearmongers and the media.

I’ve always thought “Critter” was a great call sign and I like to see it under Air Tran, that’s all.

I’ll not argue with you there. 8)