Unexpected signal reception direction

It would appear that, even after only 12 hours, VRS is providing some insights.

That big WSW reception spike I mentioned in the OP is very visible at all flight levels. What wasn’t obvious to me until using VRS is that this spike lines up almost perfectly between my home and Pearson Int’l in Toronto, arguably one of Canada’s busiest airports. Somehow, I don’t think this is a coincidence. :thinking:

I’m still going to wait a bit before taking screenies. The range markers are extremely jagged because of the small sample size.

Shaun

1 Like

That’s cool! I didn’t realize that you had those features.

Okay, so here we are…24 hours down the…RABBIT hole :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The data is still very dirty, but already, I can see some patterns. First, let me provide some necessary information:

All range rings are set at 50 NAUTICAL mile (not imperial) intervals All VRS colour settings were default. For reference:

Below FL100 = white
Below FL200 = green
Below FL300 = blue (or purple)
Above FL300 = red

HWT range marks were set at FL50, FL100, and FL300.

First up, a look at SkyAware with HWT markings (note the location of Toronto, to the far SW) —

Now comes the good stuff! XD

I tried to line up the VRS map as close as possible. Toronto is still visible, either way.
Here’s the full map:

The WSW spike is clearly visible. The longest (FL300+) spike is especially interesting! I’ve seen several planes trace the upper side of that angle. All off them were headed to/from Pearson Int’l (Toronto).

Another surprise – I wasn’t expecting as much reception to the south/southeast. I sure hope I’m still compliant with international law! :open_mouth:

Also, note the hole in reception just south of the big spike. It’s especially obvious in the lower altitudes (>FL200):

I’m not sure what to make of that. As far as I know (and I’ve physically been to that area), there’s nothing there to interfere. Perhaps there’s a hydro station in that area I’m not aware of? Or…perhaps I need more data to make a conclusion… :thinking:

You might also note that I am definitely not getting anything under FL200 at Montreal, but I am getting signals from Ottawa. In fact, I watched a plane land there, tonight! I told FlightAware that i was equidistant from Ottawa and Montreal. I better invest in a roof mount before they find out! :sweat_smile:

Stay tuned, next week. Same Bat time, same Bat channel! XD

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.