FlightAware Discussions

UAT receiver showing 1090 traffic

This morning my UAT 978 Pi has switched over to show 1090 traffic
but it seems to indicate it is running dump978-fa

pi@c121746:~ $ piaware-status
PiAware master process (piaware) is running with pid 498.
PiAware ADS-B client (faup1090) is not running (disabled by configuration settings)
PiAware ADS-B UAT client (faup978) is running with pid 3876.
PiAware mlat client (fa-mlat-client) is not running.
Local ADS-B UAT receiver (dump978-fa) is running with pid 3157.

dump978-fa (pid 3157) is listening for UAT connections on port 30978.
faup978 is connected to the ADS-B UAT receiver.
piaware is connected to FlightAware.

dump978 is producing data on localhost:30978.
any suggestions how to get it back to 978?

seems resolved after setting up a new piaware 4.0 image Jan 3 2021 for UAT 978 and reloading rbfeeder, fr24 and adsbexchange, tar1090, graphs1090

Showing it where? That status output sure looks like it is running 978 only.

Are you perhaps seeing ADS-R / TIS-B on 978?

I didn’t think fr24 accepted UAT data.
Also, I don’t know how the fr24 software behaves when loaded onto a 978 only system. Can it grab the dongle and retune it to 1090? Others will probably know for sure but could loading the fr24 software be the cause of your original problem?

When fr24feeder does not find dump1090 installed, it installs dump1090-mutability (EB_VER), unless the user is aware of this fact and during installation of fr24, configures it to use data from network (receiver=beat-tcp, host=ip:port).

If fr24feeder succeeds in installing dump1090-mutability, there is every chance it will grab the dongle, leaving dump978 orphaned.

1 Like

Doesn’t it actually first check port 30002 now and if that’s open configures for AVR input?
(auto configure)

But yeah if it’s set to dvb-t it will check for and if not found install dump1090-mutability.

The skyaware978 map started showing large numbers of aircraft and commercial aircraft where normally see no more than 5 978 UAT. Note the big increase from Jan 2 to Jan 3.

Was still seeing readsb in ps -A despite trying to remove it. After a whole day of it decided to start over with a fresh image. Probably just installed too many things that were not needed.

This morning skyaware978 has started showing TIS-B from the outdoor antenna at roof level.
Looks like Positions reported for ADS-B UAT includes TIS-B.

Fortunately the tar1090 display allows filtering by ads-b source. Once there is a uat/ads-b plane present, there may be many tis-b reports that pop up including ground based ones at airport.

faup978 should not report/upload TIS-B targets

Look at your unique-aircraft stats, those are more useful than the reported-position stats if you’re trying to evaluate how much UAT traffic (number of aircraft) you’re seeing. I do not see a corresponding spike in the number of aircraft so the increase is probably due to a change in aircraft behaviour (e.g. loitering for longer within your receiver’s range)

1 Like

[

What’s the difference between 1090 and 978?

](https://cincinnatiavionics.com/ads-b-out-difference-1090-978/)