Thoughts on gain?

I have a couple of different feeders with different SDR’s. I am curious about anyone’s thoughts on how adaptive gain works on one particular feeder. The feeder uses the orange pro stick without any filter. Each night, Adaptive gain always drops the gain to 36 and leaves it there. Then every morning it bumps it back up to about 42 and all day long it varies the gain until the same time each night (about 10:30pm) where it drops to a steady 36.

There’s nothing I’m trying fix. I’m just curious about the logic.

Thanks.

dump1090-localhost-misc-7d

During the day the program will try to compensate for the noise that is encounterd in your environment. During the night the noise is most likely less due to reduced traffic and reduced interference ( for example mobile phone traffic).
Once the day starts again and the noise figure increases the gain will be increased as well in order to compensate for the noise.

In the example below you can see the noise (green line) dropping during the night time and that reduces the gain as well on this reciever.
noise

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.