The new forum - a brillant proof of the Peter Principle

Yep… I’m reminded of a work assignment that I had at Delco Electronics some years ago. The company motto was “The Automotive Electronics Capitol of the World!” and we were using VAX/VMS systems.

On a terminal, you could type a line of text and then wait for the cursor to print the text onto the screen. If you didn’t show up for work at least 30 minutes early, you’d get an error notifying you that the maximum number of users had been exceeded - so you couldn’t log into your account.

You’d see people working in their offices, reach over and tap the space bar every 10 minutes so they wouldn’t be logged out and lose access to the system.

Over Christmas vacation, Ross Perot’s EDS group updated the system with new software and expanded memory. When we came back in January, nobody knew how to use their terminals anymore and the system crashed about every hour on-the-hour. I wasn’t the only person to gladly bid farewell to the VAX/11 DecTYPE!

3 Likes

Is this change about generating revenue? Isn’t it more about cost saving by saving IT the trouble of maintaining the forum themselves?

From the ADS-B Flighting Tracking side, so far it has been a way for people feeding data to discuss problems and help each other with difficulties they encountered, with the help of the ever present ob j kenobi. This in itself created value for Flightaware.
To me, already it seems it is a lot quiter than it used to be, let us just hope this is temporarily and has no effect on the number of people feeding data because they are losing interest without the community feeling or do not get help enought help with problems they encounter.

3 Likes

This new forum format is NOT bad, it is only DIFFERENT from what we are accustomed to.

The negetive responces are understandable. This happens with every change. I always felt uncomfortable as I had to learn new methods and break old habbits. With time I gradually adjusted to new thing.

Life is change…change is life.

1 Like

Good or bad are subjective qualifications. About change: it’s easy to ease the pain if it is well prepared: Top 12 reasons why people resist change - Understanding reactions to change

EDIT: well done IT staff, good job. Migrations are always tricky and you did it with only a few flaws.

2 Likes

Old links not work!!! Example Ideas for optimizing the performance of your ADS-B setup. - ADS-B Flight Tracking - FlightAware Discussions
It’s very reminiscent of how Google killed Panoramio.
First of all, Google replaced the old PHP forum with new Google Groups.
It killed the community. A few years later, Google closed the Panoramio .

1 Like

This thing must have been produced by a bunch of Apple lovers.
It surely is not the type of forum technical users find useful.

1 Like

This thing must have been produced by a bunch of Apple lovers.
It surely is not the type of forum technical users find useful.

that’s EXACTLY what i was thinking! but to be fair this is how apple today is - zero innovation and all about wannabe chichi. if steve jobs would resurge - i’m sure world-wide-news would report about a huge massacre on the executive-floor in cupertino :smiley:

1 Like

Some of us don’t do Apple or Facebook. Nothing much here for us apart from broken links and a lousy Trendy Wendy format.

Trendy Wendy is always a poor choice.

2 Likes

The more I use this new forum, the more I like it.

First few days the new forum was very annoying, but gradually I am getting used to it.

1 Like

i never did facebook as i never was interested in all the nonsense people write there - today nobody of the younger generation really uses facebook anymore. regarding apple - since i changed from windows about 10 years ago it went a little to the worse since steve jobs death - but in my opinion it is still better and more stable than windows or android.

2 Likes

Ah, well we’re not so far apart; I went with the other fork of all that, Linux. It was a better fit for me as I like to pick my own hardware. Having said that there are one or two issues, and I’m not about to go Apple to solve them as from what I read that’s not a bowl of cherries either! :wink:

1 Like

yes - not far apart. linux was no option for us as we design products and photoshop etc. is mandatory there. our cad-software runs only on windows - so we use win7 still - but running on mac-pros via bootcamp drivers. of course all are the ‘old’ 12core mac-pro with alu-case as they are able to run 24/7 at 100% cpu-load for rendering with maxwell. the actual mac-pro die a sudden death used this way. thanx to mr. cook and funny friends …

2 Likes

hahaha btw :joy: what was the flightaware-forum now is the DISASTAIR-FORUM: Airfasttickets "Disastair" - YouTube

1 Like

Linux is my choice of operating system for my personal use as well. Linux has a great many forks of its own and RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) represents a solid architecture that is extremely reliable and secure.

Updates come under regular recommendation notifications and install flawlessly with all necessary dependencies. Not only does this happen free of charge but the operations run smoothly, without creating problems of their own. The added bonus is that you have complete control of your system and don’t have to rely upon some unknown code being installed without your knowledge or consent.

2 Likes

Turning into a fanboy post, I see.

I’m getting used to the new layout, not had to check or look for links but I’m sure the powers that be will sort this in time.

3 Likes

btw. this is my all time high apple review :joy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QpJ_VDbIPA

1 Like

If anything is typed like xxxx dot yy, this Concourse converts it into a link.
For example heatmap.py, Stup.id etc.

To avoid this, dont use Full-Stop key on your keyboard. Instead use Middle-dot UTF8 [U+00B7], and it will not be converted into a link

Example:
Using Full-Stop dot on computer keyboard: heatmap.py
Using Middle-dot: heatmap·py

Instead, use following, and it will convert to mid-dot when you post or see preview.
(I have placed back-quotes `` around these to prevent their conversion to mid-dot, so that you can see these in full.)

heatmap·pi (used · in place of full-stop)

Here is the same text as above, but without back-quotes `` around. Did not convert to a link:

heatmap·pi
heatmap·pi
heatmap·pi

Alternatively, on Windows, the middle-dot can be typed by making Number Lock ON, pressing Alt key, and type 0183 from Number Key-pad.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

The easiest way to type mid-dot instead of full-stop is by its name:

Type middot (no space between mid and dot)
Type & before it
Type ; after it
So it will become ·

When you preview/post it, this concourse will convert it into a dot · which is a character different from full-stop, though looks very similar to it

but why not simply escaping e.g. www.discourse_sucks.com :smiley:

www\.discourse_sucks\.com
1 Like